Who's Online
5 registered (red3, 4 invisible), 8 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#989236 - 01/02/16 09:53 AM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
Frizzman Offline
Harquebusier

Loc: Virginia Beach
City or County: Virginia Beach
The FACTS that the governor (all lower as befits the man) is a Clinton plant who was rewarded for years working as their toady/bagman isn't political. It's just truth. They saw the election of our two senators as a bellwether that Virginia was ripe for the picking. The next step is for this carpetbagger to deliver the state to his bosses, bill and hillary. As a native Virginian, I could smell the stench of the Clinton hand every time he ran. We can expect he and his lackeys to try out anything billary proposes by virtue of royal edict as the president is doing...Never mind that there has been no consultation or approval from OUR elected representatives.

He started with easy targets such as the decendents of Confederate veterans. ANY defense of our ancestors could easily be dismissed as racist in nature. Now the new operative phrase is "gun safety". Only a racist would oppose wiping out anything related to the racist Confederates and only some rabid "gun NUTS", who care nothing about the slaughter of the innocents, would oppose measures to improve "GUN SAFETY" actions...See how this works?.

The governor and now the president are only trying to help us all with "common sense" gun safety" by circumventing the legislative branch to impose their will and that pesky Bill of Rights be damned...They are helping the unwashed masses to escape the evils of the "do nothing Congress/legislature" and, of course, the EVIL NRA...Im sorry to say that it is, of course, about politics and clever manoeuvring by very clever paid consultants to win political battles...The only recourse for us poor, misguided racists and gun nuts is through politics and elections.

Of course, anything of a violent or unlawful type is unthinkable and to encourage that kind of talk IS nutty...Our ancestors took up armed revolt when the Royal Governor enforced the edicts of the King without any consent from the people. That is not an option and certainly wouldn't be if the citizens' right to keep and bear arms is peeled away little by little...They are well funded in this pursuit by the oligarch, Bloomberg in this efforts. So, join thr NRA and VACDL and get politically active...DON'T JUST COMPLAIN. Get active and contact your representatives, support those who support our rights, show up at the poles, inform yourselves and read to be aware of what the politics are...Pay attention to the opposition.

These sneak attacks were unleashed during the holidays(NOT Christmas, of course) to take advantage of the vunerability of us commoners...Sound familiar?...Perhaps December 7th 1941?...The only weapon we have to respond in kind is cool reason and rational use of political arms.

#989523 - 01/02/16 10:14 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
USG Offline
Marksman

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Manassas
It's so frustrating when people do not understand the basic logic that if a criminal wants to get a firearm, he's not going to care about the laws. Someone with a felony is already getting guns with scrubbed off serial numbers or via straw purchases which is already illegal.

How is that so hard to understand? Sure, it will make the idiots who look at any semi auto rifle as an "ASSAULT RIFLE" happy, but it's a ridiculous proposal to limit number of handguns per month.

Given I've had alot of sketchy people contact me on armslist about my listings. Some don't want to do the transaction with a bill of sale, and worst of all, some turn out to be MD residents trying to buy something that's not legal there. It's people just like that who ruin it for the rest of us. Only takes one rotten egg in the basket.

I just needed to get that off my chest. The number of times I've been asked "why do you need an AR/AK" is ridiculous. Frankly, I don't need it, but it's alot of fun! Why do you need a 500hp car? Why do you need anything more than the basics?

#989761 - 01/03/16 02:33 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: USG]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Loc: Various
City or County: Various
Originally Posted By: USG
The number of times I've been asked "why do you need an AR/AK" is ridiculous.

I personally NEED an AR/AK (or anything else I choose to own) because I can't consistently hit squat at 50 yards with my pistol... and if a bad guy is shooting at me from 51 yards I NEED an equal or greater advantage.

Kinda the same reason I wouldn't grab a spoon if a bad guy/gal came after me with a knife.

Edited by Cash is King (01/03/16 02:34 PM)

I-95 "Fast Lanes" solved NOTHING!!!

#990409 - 01/04/16 11:15 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: USG]
TCV Offline
Pea shooter

City or County: Petersburg/Fairfax
Why does anybody need a megaphone for their speech when they could just shout? Why does anybody need the latest and greatest Internet connectivity when you could still manage to post replies at 14k speeds?

#990439 - 01/05/16 06:53 AM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: coptician]
pwc606 Offline
Marksman

Loc: NOVA
City or County: Fauquier
Originally Posted By: coptician
SEnt to the AG a few minutes ago:

Sir,
I served 6 years in the US Navy and 30 years as a Virginia Beach Police Officer. Both of these pursuits required my vow to uphold the US Constitution. I took that very, very seriously. In my retirement years I watch as one government official after another works to tear down that which I and many others sacrificed daily to protect.
The right to bear arms is derived directly from the right to LIFE, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Those rights come from our Creator. As such,the Bill of Rights delineates those to be protected from usurpation by our government. They are specifically NOT gratuitously granted by our government to be rescinded at its leisure.
In 30 years of police work I did not investigate ANY crime committed with a gun wielded by a licensed CCW holder from another state (or from this state, for that matter). I know of no other officer that has, either. Your arbitrary decision has no basis in fact nor experience and can only be viewed for what it is; a flank attack on the self defense rights of the citizens you swore to serve.
I have no desire to disparage you or your politics. I only ask that you view this with a clear head and common sense. Realize that this action does nothing to make responsible Virginians safer; it only serves to make criminals (the ones who don't care about ANY law) bolder in the face of increasing helplessness brought by arbitrary decisions such as this one you propose.
I watched a young man stand up to a very errant judge in court one day with the truest words I ever heard spoken in that courtroom: "Your honor I know you have the POWER to render a sentence on me. But we both know that you don't have the RIGHT."
You, too have the power sir, but you don't have the right. A wise man understands the difference. I'm hoping you will, also.

Signed

You should send a copy of that to McAwful and Obummer. Between them and our AG the Second Amendment will be used for toilet tissue by every liberal on earth. I can't believe this crap is happening in America! What happened to My America? Who let the fricking Nazi's in?

#990440 - 01/05/16 07:06 AM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
Rickims63 Offline
Double barrel

City or County: Fairfax County
sad thing is majority of people will complain, make promises to fight it but at the end of the day are scared about their jobs or just plain lazy. This will pass, just like everything else the libs ram down our throats and the average, law-abiding citizen will continue to get screwed.

Republicans compromised with Clinton to allow the Brady Bill, and when Hillary is president they will cave again.

Trust no politician or internet warrior. Buy now, we are all going to lose our rights soon.

Edited by Rickims63 (01/05/16 07:06 AM)

#990520 - 01/05/16 10:07 AM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: Rickims63]
pwc606 Offline
Marksman

City or County: Fauquier
Originally Posted By: Rickims63
sad thing is majority of people will complain, make promises to fight it but at the end of the day are scared about their jobs or just plain lazy. This will pass, just like everything else the libs ram down our throats and the average, law-abiding citizen will continue to get screwed.

Republicans compromised with Clinton to allow the Brady Bill, and when Hillary is president they will cave again.

Trust no politician or internet warrior. Buy now, we are all going to lose our rights soon.

TRUTH!!!!

#993551 - 01/13/16 01:47 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
jmm83164 Offline
Critter Killer

Loc: Hampton Roads
City or County: Newport News
My wife and I are driving up where is everyone meeting up

#993794 - 01/14/16 08:34 AM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: pwc606]
coptician Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Va
City or County: Chesapeake
I did sent the letter to the Governor. But then I re read it and realized the futility of it. The second to last sentence is the disqualifier: "A wise man understands the difference.".

If any of them posessed a smidgeon of wisdom, this thread and thousands like it nationwide would be unnecessary.

Edited by coptician (01/14/16 08:38 AM)

#993902 - 01/14/16 03:33 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
robert cohen Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Tidewater
City or County: newport news
how much longer do we have to put up with this guy - before he starts his presidential campaign?

#998408 - 01/26/16 04:35 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
Paratus Offline
Addicted

City or County: Appomattox
'"Your honor I know you have the POWER to render a sentence on me. But we both know that you don't have the RIGHT."
You, too have the power sir, but you don't have the right. A wise man understands the difference. I'm hoping you will, also.'

Excellent observation. I have been saying for years that governments do not have rights...only powers.

#999271 - 01/29/16 12:12 AM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
Sir2nd Offline
Armed and Dangerous

Loc: Virginia, U.S.A.
City or County: NoVA
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/mcauliffe-to-restore-handgun-reciprocity-in-deal-with-republicans/2016/01/28/6f8c0240-c5d8-11e5-9693-933a4d31bcc8_story.html?hpid=hp_local-news_vaguns-115pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Va. will again recognize concealed-carry permits from other states.

RICHMOND — Gov. Terry McAuliffe and Republican leaders will announce Friday they have reached a deal on Virginia’s gun regulations in a surprising moment of compromise on an issue that had threatened to poison the remainder of the governor’s term in office.

McAuliffe (D) agreed to legislation that says the state must recognize concealed-handgun permits from nearly all states — a reversal of Attorney General Mark R. Herring’s decision last month to sever the reciprocity rights of gun owners in 25 states.

In exchange, Republicans softened their stances on issues that have long been non-starters in the GOP-controlled General Assembly. Under the deal, the state would take guns away from anyone who was under a two-year protective order for domestic-violence offenses. And State Police would have to attend all gun shows to provide background checks for private sellers if they requested the service.

“This is a bipartisan deal that will make Virginians safer,” McAuliffe spokesman Brian Coy said. “It also demonstrates that Democrats and Republicans can work together on key issues like keeping guns out of dangerous hands.”

The agreement marks the first break in a logjam over gun rights and gun control marked by heated rhetoric and could bolster McAuliffe’s legacy as he begins the second half of his term.

“Bipartisanship requires give-and-take by both sides,” said Matt Moran, a spokesman for House Speaker William J. Howell (R-Stafford). “This agreement restores reciprocity for law-abiding Virginians while sending a clear signal about domestic violence. There’s a lot to like here.”

Both sides framed the deal as a win for Herring (D), whose decision on concealed-carry reciprocity motivated both sides to hammer out a deal.

Herring said he was glad to provide the momentum for an apparent compromise but reserved judgment on the legislation, which is still working its way through the General Assembly.

“I’m encouraged to finally see a bipartisan conversation about how we can reduce gun violence and keep guns away from dangerous individuals that shouldn’t have them,” he said. “At the end of the day, the measure of success for this package will be whether the final product that emerges from the legislative process makes Virginians safer.”

Last month, Herring said he was enforcing a Virginia law that says the attorney general must review reciprocity agreements with other states. If lawmakers pass and McAuliffe signs a series of bills changing state law as part of the deal they plan to announce Friday, Herring would have to adhere to a new set of laws.

As political leaders applauded a rare bout of consensus, reaction from activists was mixed. The National Rifle Association had panned Herring’s move last month but applauded McAuliffe and GOP lawmakers for coming to an agreement.

“The National Rifle Association commends leaders in the Commonwealth for moving forward on a bipartisan package that will benefit Virginia citizens,” Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action, the organization’s lobbying arm, said in a statement.

But the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence reacted bitterly in a message on its Facebook page. The group said McAuliffe has bragged about “his administration’s aggressive new approach to confronting the National Rifle Association.”

“Now he’s preparing to cave to them,” the message said. “As far as we are aware, there is not a single gun violence prevention advocate in Virginia who was informed about this deal before it was done. We all stand in opposition to it.”

That’s just the sort of rancor that McAuliffe’s public safety secretary, Brian J. Moran, and state Sen. Bryce E. Reeves (R-Spotsylvania) said they strived to avoid as they quietly negotiated a compromise taking into account diverging personalities and political realities.

The pair traded messages and phone calls at all hours, starting two weeks ago around the time when lawmakers returned to Richmond for the legislative session.

A key moment came Tuesday night when the tentative agreement appeared ready to unravel. Reeves, Moran and two NRA lobbyists met at Rappahannock Restaurant for an oyster dinner — and to remind themselves what was at stake. In walked Secretary of the Commonwealth Levar Stoney, a McAuliffe confidant. Together they figured it out.

Anybody who says the ‘Virginia Way’ is dead. It’s not dead. It’s alive and well,” Reeves said. “We can find compromise on the most contentious issues if we can shelve the politics and work together.”

Moran said: “This is a historic agreement for its bipartisanship. Virginians will be truly safer today than they were yesterday because of this agreement.”

The policy changes will come in the form of bipartisan legislation before the General Assembly.

A Senate panel Wednesday evening passed Reeves’s bill restoring reciprocity. It includes an amendment offered by Sen. Chap Petersen (D-Fairfax City) that says Virginia will not honor an out-of-state concealed-carry permit held by a person whose Virginia concealed-carry permit was previously revoked — a practice known as “state shopping.”

The domestic-violence bill will be carried by Sen. Janet D. Howell (D-Fairfax) and Del. Kathleen Murphy (D-Fairfax). It would require individuals subject to a permanent protective order to sell or transfer their guns within 24 hours of the judge’s order. State law currently prohibits the purchase or transport — but not possession — of guns by such individuals. Federal law prohibits all three.

Sen. John S. Edwards (D-Roanoke) and Del. L. Scott Lingemfelter (R-Prince William) are carrying the background-checks bill, which would be funded by $100,000 included in McAuliffe’s budget proposal. Unlike licensed dealers, private sellers are blocked from accessing the federal guns database to conduct background checks.

Jenna Portnoy covers Virginia politics for The Washington Post.

#999970 - 01/30/16 08:04 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
num1fordfan Offline
RUGERS and T.B.T.B.E.B

Loc: prince george , va 23875
City or County: PRINCE GEORGE
Give a dem an inch they will take a mile wonder what gun right he will attack next

#1001787 - 02/04/16 11:45 AM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: num1fordfan]
Stick895 Offline
Single barrel

Loc: Chesterfield
City or County: Chesterfield
Anyone else find it hugely humorous that the gun ban crowd is now turned on McAuliff with such heavy criticism for his deal on reciprocity? Of course, if Mark Herring hadn't set him up he wouldn't have needed to get involved. Interesting if/when they will support him in the future. He did state on Channel 12 here in Richmond that concealed carriers aren't a problem.

#1001791 - 02/04/16 11:51 AM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
Stick895 Offline
Single barrel

Loc: Chesterfield

#1002117 - 02/05/16 09:53 AM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: Stick895]
rzrbak Offline
Double barrel

Loc: VA
City or County: Powhatan
The atty gen and gubiner had this orchestrated from the beginning...first they take it away...then they make you negotiate towards their end to get back LESS than what you had originally. Classic used car salesman $hit. Standard for politicians. Atty gen is made out to be the bad guy; T-mac rides in and negotiates a deal made in heaven. Win / win right...except we gave up a little. This and the chosen one's healthcare, that somehow has gun ownership rules written into it; add to that their trying to get the IRS more power to enforce this crap, and you get the feeling TPTB really don't want us (citizens) having guns. Everything they do in the open is a distraction...just like 3-card monty...where's that tin-foil hat of mine?

#1002188 - 02/05/16 01:14 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
Midlogunner Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: VA
IMPORTANT DETAILS ON THE “DEAL” (from the Virginia Citizens Defense League)

There are three components that make up the deal, each component represented by matching bills in the House and in the Senate.

#1 – Reciprocity details – gun owners gain ground!

* Virginia will honor the carry permits from ALL states! This is considerably better than current law and something VCDL has been trying to get for at least seven years now.

* Because Virginia will honor all other states, Virginia CHPs will be recognized by all the states we have lost AND we will gain some new states: New Hampshire, Georgia, and Colorado!

* The State Police and the Attorney General will have NO say in the new law. If another state requires a formal agreement to honor Virginia CHPs, the new law requires the Attorney General to enter into any such agreement. If he fails to do this, item #3, below, does not go into effect.

* One other change on the reciprocity law: If your Virginia CHP is revoked for cause, you won’t be able to carry on a non-resident permit from another state. Not a deal breaker.

NOTE: Just because we are honoring all other states, doesn’t mean we can carry in all those states. Someone from New York will be able to carry here, but we won’t be able to carry in New York unless New York is willing to enter into a reciprocal agreement with Virginia, for example.

As more and more states start honoring out-of-state permits, the prospects of our permit being honored by even more states down the road is bright!

#2 – Voluntary gun show background checks

* Background checks for a private sale are COMPLETELY voluntary.

* The State Police shall be at every gun show in Virginia, by law. (Some gun owners were thinking this was some kind of a trick – that if the State Police don’t show up, the gun show would be cancelled. This should put that worry to rest.)

* The gun show promoter shall notify the State Police of the location and times of the gun show at least 30 days in advance, shall provide a free location for the police to set up, and shall have signs letting attendees know of the voluntary background checks at the State Police booth. (I checked with one of Virginia’s largest gun show promoters on this to see if any of it was objectionable and was told, “no.”)

* The State Police may charge a reasonable fee. (If they charge more than you want to pay, you can just walk away and do the transaction without the background check.)

* NO information on the make, model, or serial number of the gun being sold will be provided to the State Police – i.e. no federal Form 4473! The purchaser will have to fill out the Virginia form, which asks a few questions and has the buyer’s name, address, and signature. (If you don’t want to fill out that form, you can just walk away and do the transaction without the background check.)

* There is a carrot: if a background check is run, the seller receives some special legal protections that are currently not available for private sales. If a background check is not run, you don’t have any more or any less legal protections than under current law.

Yes, down the road inevitably there will be some bills introduced that attempt to make the background check mandatory. We get bills on mandatory background checks for private sales every year. We will have to fight and defeat those bills in the future, just as we fight and defeat similar bills today.

For those gun owners who would feel safer selling a gun to someone who has had a background check, this provides a new option in addition to the current option of either asking if the person has a CHP or going through the more laborious and expensive route of letting an FFL do the transfer. It also has no effect on private sales conducted anywhere outside of gun shows, where this voluntary option is not provided.

#3 – Persons subject to a PERMANENT domestic violence protection order cannot possess firearms until the order expires

* The ONLY permanent protection order this restriction applies to is one for domestic violence and NOTHING else.

* The subject of the protection order must have had his day in court along with any legal counsel. Temporary protection orders do NOT affect possession of firearms.

* If the judge, after hearing the defense, decides to issue a permanent protection order anyhow, the subject of the protection order will lose his gun rights for the duration of the order (MAXIMUM of two years), and automatically get those gun rights back when the permanent protection order expires. Note: a new permanent protection order could potentially be issued when the permanent protection order expires if the judge thinks a danger still exists.

* The subject of the permanent protection order will have 24 hours to turn his guns over to a person of his choice, as long as that person can legally possess firearms.

* The above is basically federal law already, and state law already prohibits a person with such a permanent protection order from purchasing or transporting a firearm.

#1011087 - 02/26/16 02:33 PM Re: HERE COMES GUN CONTROL [Re: VaGunTrader]
uscav5/15 Offline
Pea shooter

City or County: Roanoke
Join VCDL, support the group, they are fighting for our rights that should never threatened in the first place.

Endowed by God! Not to be taken away by man.

I served for 3 three years in US Army and will serve again if ever needed, these tyrants must be stopped.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7