Who's Online
13 registered (spaatz11, JDH, Dia, goosenfl, R_George, MTH68, Basenji, Scb, COFFMAN5, Shanewhitehead, beavertrapper, jr45, 1 invisible), 20 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1051423 - 06/03/16 11:42 AM brun
Bullpup Offline
Only trade interests are in my signature.

Loc: NoVA
City or County: Fairfax County
On May 9th I purchased brun's used Sager NP9752 laptop from him for the price of $900 in response his "shoutbox special" message.

The advertised specs from his listing were as follows:
Originally Posted By: brun

The laptop has is LIKE NEW Sager np9752
Comes with:

i4790k DESKTOP cpu
32gb Ram
256gb PCI-E SSD
1tb SSD hd
970m 6gb GPU.

We met in the lobby of my apartment building so that I could turn on the laptop and do a quick function check as well as confirming that all of the hardware specs checked out as described.

Brun said that there was an additional 128gb SSD drive installed that was not mentioned in the listing, but that he would include at no additional cost--along with a basic padded sleeve-case for the laptop. Upon opening up "System Properties", Windows confirmed the presence of an Intel Core i7 4790k processor, and 32gb of RAM, with "Device Manager" showing three hard drives at 256gb, 128gb, and 1tb.

While looking at the hard drives I explicitly asked him if the 1tb drive was indeed an SSD drive, as advertised, which he answered in no uncertain terms that it was. He said that it was not included with the system but he had added it in as an upgrade after purchase.

I also noticed that he had not wiped the laptop before sale, but simply uninstalled a majority of his software and deleted his documents from it. I asked if there was a recovery partition for formatting the drives and restoring factory settings (typically included by the manufacturer on laptops with no cd/dvd/bdrom drive like this one), and/or if he could just provide the license key for the Windows 7 operating system so that I could just wipe the laptop myself and then reinstall Windows 7. (I had asked to make sure an OS license would be included for the laptop during our text converstaion before meeting). I explained that I did not want to start using the laptop until I could wipe the hard drives and make a fresh install of Windows, as one would want to do any time a used computer is changing hands, both for my security and his. He replied that he didn't actually have the OS license with him, but none of this would be a problem--that Sager has excellent customer service and that they had helped him reinstall Windows 7 in the past over the phone and provided the OEM license key to do so, and that he would either find the license key for me or call Sager again to obtain it.

Taking his word I handed over $900 cash and purchased the laptop from him.

Later that evening when I had the laptop set up in my apartment, I pulled the part numbers from the hard drives and did a Google search on each one of them. The 256gb and 128gb drives were indeed SSD drives as advertised, but the 1tb drive was a standard 7200rpm platter hard drive (a $40-50 value), not a 1tb SSD (about a $250-300 value) as brun had stated in his listing and confirmed verbally to me during our meeting.

I PM'd brun later that night to tell him that I had discovered that the drive was not as described, but a much cheaper part, and also to reiterate that I would not be able to set up the laptop for normal use without him providing the Windows 7 license key--lest I go out and buy a new license myself. He never responded. I reached out by text with the same message three days later (5/12), and he also did not respond to that.

A full week after the purchase (5/16), I tried one more time to reach him by text. About 6 hours later that evening he finally did respond, saying that he had been "out of town for business". (Without his cell phone?) He said he apologizes about the 1tb SSD, and that he "thought it was an SSD because it was so thin". (He doesn't know what hard drive he bought and installed into the laptop?) He offered no attempt to make it right, either by providing a replacement part for what was advertised, or refunding some portion of the purchase price so that I could buy one myself--just "sorry". Apparently the fact that laptop hard drives share a common form factor is an appropriate excuse to jip someone out of a $250 part that you advertised would be included in their purchase.

He then stated that if I send him the serial number of the laptop, he would contact the manufacturer that evening and "try" to get the Windows 7 license key for me. I promptly send him the serial number, along with a picture of the serial sticker from the laptop itself. That was the last I heard from him.

I waited another two weeks, and then gave up and just bought myself a new OEM Windows 7 license so that I could wipe and configure the laptop I had bought 3 weeks ago and finally start using it.

TL;DR:

What I thought was a good deal on a used performance laptop ended up being several hundred dollars shy of its proposed value, with the added out-of-pocket expense of buying a new copy of Windows 7 for myself. Had I known the actual conditions that the item would be provided in, I doubt I would have made the purchase.

As it stands, I can not vouch for brun as a user that I would recommend dealing with. His item was not provided as described, and his communication was poor once he had gotten his money. He was all yes's when making the sale, but then nowhere to be found when things didn't line up like he said. I can provide the records of our PM and text message conversations, as well as screenshots of the falsely advertised hardware in question, if he would like to dispute anything I've stated here.

I'm happy to remove this negative feedback if he is willing to make things right by exchanging the falsely advertised hard drive for one that matches his sale description, or to provide a partial refund in the amount that would let me purchase one matching his sale description. I'm willing to amiably absorb the cost of the new Windows 7 license that I had to buy, if he will do this much.

#1051437 - 06/03/16 12:13 PM Re: brun [Re: Bullpup]
BobVA Offline
Site proctologist

Loc: Dale City, Virginia
City or County: Prince William
Originally Posted By: Bullpup
On May 9th I purchased brun's used Sager NP9752 laptop from him for the price of $900 in response his "shoutbox special" message.

The advertised specs from his listing were as follows:
Originally Posted By: brun

The laptop has is LIKE NEW Sager np9752
Comes with:

i4790k DESKTOP cpu
32gb Ram
256gb PCI-E SSD
1tb SSD hd
970m 6gb GPU.

We met in the lobby of my apartment building so that I could turn on the laptop and do a quick function check as well as confirming that all of the hardware specs checked out as described.

Brun said that there was an additional 128gb SSD drive installed that was not mentioned in the listing, but that he would include at no additional cost--along with a basic padded sleeve-case for the laptop. Upon opening up "System Properties", Windows confirmed the presence of an Intel Core i7 4790k processor, and 32gb of RAM, with "Device Manager" showing three hard drives at 256gb, 128gb, and 1tb.

While looking at the hard drives I explicitly asked him if the 1tb drive was indeed an SSD drive, as advertised, which he answered in no uncertain terms that it was. He said that it was not included with the system but he had added it in as an upgrade after purchase.

I also noticed that he had not wiped the laptop before sale, but simply uninstalled a majority of his software and deleted his documents from it. I asked if there was a recovery partition for formatting the drives and restoring factory settings (typically included by the manufacturer on laptops with no cd/dvd/bdrom drive like this one), and/or if he could just provide the license key for the Windows 7 operating system so that I could just wipe the laptop myself and then reinstall Windows 7. (I had asked to make sure an OS license would be included for the laptop during our text converstaion before meeting). I explained that I did not want to start using the laptop until I could wipe the hard drives and make a fresh install of Windows, as one would want to do any time a used computer is changing hands, both for my security and his. He replied that he didn't actually have the OS license with him, but none of this would be a problem--that Sager has excellent customer service and that they had helped him reinstall Windows 7 in the past over the phone and provided the OEM license key to do so, and that he would either find the license key for me or call Sager again to obtain it.

Taking his word I handed over $900 cash and purchased the laptop from him.

Later that evening when I had the laptop set up in my apartment, I pulled the part numbers from the hard drives and did a Google search on each one of them. The 256gb and 128gb drives were indeed SSD drives as advertised, but the 1tb drive was a standard 7200rpm platter hard drive (a $40-50 value), not a 1tb SSD (about a $250-300 value) as brun had stated in his listing and confirmed verbally to me during our meeting.

I PM'd brun later that night to tell him that I had discovered that the drive was not as described, but a much cheaper part, and also to reiterate that I would not be able to set up the laptop for normal use without him providing the Windows 7 license key--lest I go out and buy a new license myself. He never responded. I reached out by text with the same message three days later (5/12), and he also did not respond to that.

A full week after the purchase (5/16), I tried one more time to reach him by text. About 6 hours later that evening he finally did respond, saying that he had been "out of town for business". (Without his cell phone?) He said he apologizes about the 1tb SSD, and that he "thought it was an SSD because it was so thin". (He doesn't know what hard drive he bought and installed into the laptop?) He offered no attempt to make it right, either by providing a replacement part for what was advertised, or refunding some portion of the purchase price so that I could buy one myself--just "sorry". Apparently the fact that laptop hard drives share a common form factor is an appropriate excuse to jip someone out of a $250 part that you advertised would be included in their purchase.

He then stated that if I send him the serial number of the laptop, he would contact the manufacturer that evening and "try" to get the Windows 7 license key for me. I promptly send him the serial number, along with a picture of the serial sticker from the laptop itself. That was the last I heard from him.

I waited another two weeks, and then gave up and just bought myself a new OEM Windows 7 license so that I could wipe and configure the laptop I had bought 3 weeks ago and finally start using it.

TL;DR:

What I thought was a good deal on a used performance laptop ended up being several hundred dollars shy of its proposed value, with the added out-of-pocket expense of buying a new copy of Windows 7 for myself. Had I known the actual conditions that the item would be provided in, I doubt I would have made the purchase.

As it stands, I can not vouch for brun as a user that I would recommend dealing with. His item was not provided as described, and his communication was poor once he had gotten his money. He was all yes's when making the sale, but then nowhere to be found when things didn't line up like he said. I can provide the records of our PM and text message conversations, as well as screenshots of the falsely advertised hardware in question, if he would like to dispute anything I've stated here.

I'm happy to remove this negative feedback if he is willing to make things right by exchanging the falsely advertised hard drive for one that matches his sale description, or to provide a partial refund in the amount that would let me purchase one matching his sale description. I'm willing to amiably absorb the cost of the new Windows 7 license that I had to buy, if he will do this much.

PM sent to brun encouraging him to respond.
Others not involved in this transaction are NOT to respond.

"Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance." - Robert Quillen

"It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln