Who's Online
9 registered (SlickStang, jblack87, PanzerJager107, PMOORE, GrantG, Okie, SgtSquishySquash, brwgunner, VMI2008), 15 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1055831 - 06/13/16 09:50 PM younggun22
Bullseye1 Offline
Smitten

Loc: Madison, Va
City or County: Madison
Last week I completed a transaction with younggun22 out of Arlington, Va. He listed a gun incorrectly and placed a dangerous firearm in my possession during a transaction. After getting the firearm home and going over it closely I found that the gun was not what he had listed and the following is a description of the situation. Please read and learn your lesson well......

I felt the need to reach out to the staff of the VAguntrader website at this point because of a problem I have with another member. I am sure that is an uncommon thing for the staff to hear about muttley. Last week I contacted another member out of the Arlington, Va area who listed a 1905 3rd change smith for sale. I contacted him to return it too him because it is not what was described in the listing and it is unsafe to shoot because, among other things, the barrel is quite loose and due to the fact that it is not seated properly it is dangerous to use in its current state. I sent one message to the other member who stated that .... I guess what your telling me is that the barrel is not properly indexed and it needs to be fitted?
If that is the case, it is not an expensive endeavor to have a gun smith fit it.......That was one response to a couple of different problems with the gun. They are as follows from where I stand....

1. The serial numbers on the frame and barrel do not match and neither serial number match up with the serial number range for the factory serial numbers for the 3rd change(it is not a 3rd change as was listed)
2. The barrel which does not match the frame is loose and not seated into the frame in such a way as to be able to use safely and properly. The forcing cone alone is far enough away from the cylinder that any firing of this handgun could quite possibly result in an explosion that would allow the gases and lead to backfire into the shooters face.
3. The gun was listed as a 3rd change 1905. The serial numbers do not fall within the range that is listed with smith and wesson and as such represents a gun that is falsely advertised and incorrect. I am a novice collector and recently have focused on acquiring handguns that are older. I am not as well versed as some but am learning and know enough to know when a gun is or is not what the other person says it is based on reference material available to all of us.
4. The gun was shown in the listing with grips that do not match the gun. They are target stocks that fit over the bottom of the frame and as such were hiding the serial numbers on the bottom of the frame. I met the guy at Dicks in fair lakes and was not able to take the grips off to check the serial number. I took on face value that this seller was honest enough to represent what he was listing. I was willing to take the gun at its reduced price and find another set of grips. When I got home and took the target grips off I compared the two serial numbers, one on the frame and one on the barrel and not only did they not match but neither number fell within the numbers for a 3rd change.

The bottom line for me is that this seller not only sold me a gun that was not as described but I have tried on repeated attempts to contact him and the only time he responded was the first time I sent him a PM on this site. I PMd him a second time and when I did not hear back from him I decided to text him as we had texted each other leading up to our meet. He has not responded to any further attempts from me to resolve the issue. I believe this young man knew what he had and purposely misrepresented what he sold me and is not willing to resolve the issue to my satisfaction. At this point I have not left any negative feedback as I want to allow the other person ample opportunity to make good. ONce you put something out on the net you cant take it back and I dont want to damage another members reputation as I work hard to keep mine in really good standing.
As a side note I was contacted by a member that I traded with last week and he had a problem with the one I traded him and I told him I have no problem taking back what I traded him. In the interest of fairness and keeping our community on this site healthy I know that how I treat another member goes way beyond just me and the other guy. We are all in this together.

I know this has been long winded but I wanted to leave you with the last message this seller sent me when I first responded to the situation and asked him to take back what he sold me. I am reaching out to you as I need some help as to how to deal with this situation. Here is the last message he sent me......

Tom,

I received your earlier message. It is not uncommon for the barrel to not match with a gun of this vintage.

I guess what your telling me is that the barrel is not properly indexed and it needs to be fitted?
If that is the case, it is not an expensive endeavor to have a gun smith fit it.

I bought the gun for the stocks and did not examine it very closely except for the casual timing and lock up check before putting it up for sale as I had no interest in the gun

The gun was advertised AS IS due to the beat up stocks and missing thumb latch and is at least worth the $300 in parts.............

And that is what he has left me with. I believe if you look closely at the whole response you could shoot a million holes in it but I defer at this point to your judgement and experience. I will not just sit back and let this guy just do this and walk away. PLease advise me as to how you would handle this. Thanks again for your time and service to us all.

Tom

After my first attempt to contact this member he has completely ignored any attempts on my part to communicate with him. He has ignored me completely with the exception of the response as noted in this post. I have participated in this community for the last 4 years and have always tried my best to treat every one that I have dealings with in a manner of respect and integrity. I try to treat the other members the way I would want to be treated. I have never treated another member the way younggun22 has treated me and I have never been treated by another member in a manner such as this member has conducted himself regarding this transaction. The man put a dangerous gun in my possession knowing full well its condition and has left the scene. I dont know what else I can say at this point.

Edited by BobVA (06/13/16 10:40 PM)
Edit Reason: members name in title

#1055849 - 06/13/16 10:42 PM Re: younggun22 [Re: Bullseye1]
BobVA Offline
Site proctologist

Loc: Dale City, Virginia
City or County: Prince William
PM sent to younggun22 encouraging him to reply.

Others not involved in this transaction are NOT to reply.

Originally Posted By: Bullseye1
Last week I completed a transaction with younggun22 out of Arlington, Va. He listed a gun incorrectly and placed a dangerous firearm in my possession during a transaction. After getting the firearm home and going over it closely I found that the gun was not what he had listed and the following is a description of the situation. Please read and learn your lesson well......

I felt the need to reach out to the staff of the VAguntrader website at this point because of a problem I have with another member. I am sure that is an uncommon thing for the staff to hear about muttley. Last week I contacted another member out of the Arlington, Va area who listed a 1905 3rd change smith for sale. I contacted him to return it too him because it is not what was described in the listing and it is unsafe to shoot because, among other things, the barrel is quite loose and due to the fact that it is not seated properly it is dangerous to use in its current state. I sent one message to the other member who stated that .... I guess what your telling me is that the barrel is not properly indexed and it needs to be fitted?
If that is the case, it is not an expensive endeavor to have a gun smith fit it.......That was one response to a couple of different problems with the gun. They are as follows from where I stand....

1. The serial numbers on the frame and barrel do not match and neither serial number match up with the serial number range for the factory serial numbers for the 3rd change(it is not a 3rd change as was listed)
2. The barrel which does not match the frame is loose and not seated into the frame in such a way as to be able to use safely and properly. The forcing cone alone is far enough away from the cylinder that any firing of this handgun could quite possibly result in an explosion that would allow the gases and lead to backfire into the shooters face.
3. The gun was listed as a 3rd change 1905. The serial numbers do not fall within the range that is listed with smith and wesson and as such represents a gun that is falsely advertised and incorrect. I am a novice collector and recently have focused on acquiring handguns that are older. I am not as well versed as some but am learning and know enough to know when a gun is or is not what the other person says it is based on reference material available to all of us.
4. The gun was shown in the listing with grips that do not match the gun. They are target stocks that fit over the bottom of the frame and as such were hiding the serial numbers on the bottom of the frame. I met the guy at Dicks in fair lakes and was not able to take the grips off to check the serial number. I took on face value that this seller was honest enough to represent what he was listing. I was willing to take the gun at its reduced price and find another set of grips. When I got home and took the target grips off I compared the two serial numbers, one on the frame and one on the barrel and not only did they not match but neither number fell within the numbers for a 3rd change.

The bottom line for me is that this seller not only sold me a gun that was not as described but I have tried on repeated attempts to contact him and the only time he responded was the first time I sent him a PM on this site. I PMd him a second time and when I did not hear back from him I decided to text him as we had texted each other leading up to our meet. He has not responded to any further attempts from me to resolve the issue. I believe this young man knew what he had and purposely misrepresented what he sold me and is not willing to resolve the issue to my satisfaction. At this point I have not left any negative feedback as I want to allow the other person ample opportunity to make good. ONce you put something out on the net you cant take it back and I dont want to damage another members reputation as I work hard to keep mine in really good standing.
As a side note I was contacted by a member that I traded with last week and he had a problem with the one I traded him and I told him I have no problem taking back what I traded him. In the interest of fairness and keeping our community on this site healthy I know that how I treat another member goes way beyond just me and the other guy. We are all in this together.

I know this has been long winded but I wanted to leave you with the last message this seller sent me when I first responded to the situation and asked him to take back what he sold me. I am reaching out to you as I need some help as to how to deal with this situation. Here is the last message he sent me......

Tom,

I received your earlier message. It is not uncommon for the barrel to not match with a gun of this vintage.

I guess what your telling me is that the barrel is not properly indexed and it needs to be fitted?
If that is the case, it is not an expensive endeavor to have a gun smith fit it.

I bought the gun for the stocks and did not examine it very closely except for the casual timing and lock up check before putting it up for sale as I had no interest in the gun

The gun was advertised AS IS due to the beat up stocks and missing thumb latch and is at least worth the $300 in parts.............

And that is what he has left me with. I believe if you look closely at the whole response you could shoot a million holes in it but I defer at this point to your judgement and experience. I will not just sit back and let this guy just do this and walk away. PLease advise me as to how you would handle this. Thanks again for your time and service to us all.

Tom

After my first attempt to contact this member he has completely ignored any attempts on my part to communicate with him. He has ignored me completely with the exception of the response as noted in this post. I have participated in this community for the last 4 years and have always tried my best to treat every one that I have dealings with in a manner of respect and integrity. I try to treat the other members the way I would want to be treated. I have never treated another member the way younggun22 has treated me and I have never been treated by another member in a manner such as this member has conducted himself regarding this transaction. The man put a dangerous gun in my possession knowing full well its condition and has left the scene. I dont know what else I can say at this point.

"Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance." - Robert Quillen

"It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln

#1055863 - 06/13/16 11:49 PM Re: younggun22 [Re: Bullseye1]
younggun22 Offline
Addicted

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Arlington
I will handle this with Tom one on one.

#1055864 - 06/13/16 11:58 PM Re: younggun22 [Re: Bullseye1]
BobVA Offline
Site proctologist

Both sides have responded ... Thread locked .... will follow up with OP to monitor resolution.

"Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance." - Robert Quillen

"It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln

#1057436 - 06/17/16 08:48 PM Re: younggun22 [Re: Bullseye1]
BobVA Offline
Site proctologist

younggun22 did the right thing and reversed this transaction. Both parties are where they started.