Who's Online
5 registered (vw2013, SatMornWstrns, Irishinva, GeeQ, 1 invisible), 5 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#938834 - 08/24/15 12:01 AM Pre-ban norinco info
Rdsulli Offline
Gixxer

Loc: VA
City or County: Manassas
I'm trying to figure out what my AK is worth in case I decide to sell it, but I'm having trouble finding info about this exact model online. I know it's rare and its value is up there just not sure how high. It's a norinco spiker double folder with red Bakelite furniture. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments
image.jpg

#938837 - 08/24/15 12:46 AM Re: Pre-ban norinco info [Re: Rdsulli]
g-shooter Offline
Great at putting the worm on the hook!!

Loc: NoVa
City or County: Alexandria
Super cool

I paid $1250 for mine.

I have seen them go for a little less, and a ton more.

It all depends on condition, box accessories.

Do you have the box...original mags...round count?

If you are a Leader without followers you aren't leading...you are taking a walk.

#938841 - 08/24/15 01:42 AM Re: Pre-ban norinco info [Re: Rdsulli]
lue-jones Offline
Demigod

Loc: Virginia, USA.
City or County: Vinton
That is a beautiful firearm, though without knowing the exact model an estimated value can be difficult to put on it. Even with knowing the exact model, value can ultimately be dependant on what the buyer is willing to pay. If you've got a 56S-2, which came into the country stock with the side folding bakelite furniture that would mean the spiker FSB is after market.

Putting a value on a non-stock 56S-2 could be a head ache in itself due to the fact the original FSB was removed. Which is really where the value comes into play between a pre and post ban rifle.

If you've got a post-ban rifle debanned, such as MAK90 or NHM90 the value will be several hundred dollars less than a pre-ban model. You can generally look to pay $550-$900 for a post-ban Norinco AK depending on model, rarity etc. They're not all the same, and some of the harder to find post-ban rifles can bring a little extra money than say a run of the mill MAK90.

There are a handful of options these days on acquiring the spiker FSB, you can get the spiker FSB housing for $99 from tortort and purchase the bayonet and pin seperately for $50 approximately depending on where you acquire them or you can order a remanufactured version from the polytech website for around $260 + shipping. And thats not including labor to put the spiker FSB on. Which will be dependant on the tools you have on hand, who you know or where you go.

The side folding furniture alone is worth $350-$500 and perhaps even more. So just in accessories alone, you've probably got $600-$750 minimum and thats on the conservative end. If you've got a debanned, converted MAK90 thats usually a $650-$700 rifle on any given day. So adding up the value of a MAK90 and the accessories could give you a general idea of what the firearm is worth.

If its a 56S-2, you're looking at a $800-$1200+ rifle depending on a few factors like how someone would value an altered pre-ban rifle. Not including the spiker FSB assembly and installation. So some more information could help, do you have a picture of the left side of the receiver you can share with us? Either way, thats a very nice rifle and something any AK enthusiast would be very interested in.

#938949 - 08/24/15 11:09 AM Re: Pre-ban norinco info [Re: Rdsulli]
Rdsulli Offline
Gixxer

I can take one later this evening. To answer another question I do not have the original box, but it does have 2 bakelite mags and the original cleaning kit. From my understanding, this is all original, spiker and folder and have found a couple references to about 500 of them coming into country like this. The collector I got this from in a multi-gun trade purchased it from his buddy who owns a high end gun shop in MD for $2400.

#939093 - 08/24/15 06:04 PM Re: Pre-ban norinco info [Re: Rdsulli]
LaserJock Offline
B * L * U * E

Loc: NoVA 22192
City or County: NoVA 22192
A partial serial number would help along with the markings on the receiver.

#939184 - 08/24/15 08:55 PM Re: Pre-ban norinco info [Re: Rdsulli]
lue-jones Offline
Demigod

Loc: Virginia, USA.
City or County: Vinton
Originally Posted By: Rdsulli
I can take one later this evening. To answer another question I do not have the original box, but it does have 2 bakelite mags and the original cleaning kit. From my understanding, this is all original, spiker and folder and have found a couple references to about 500 of them coming into country like this. The collector I got this from in a multi-gun trade purchased it from his buddy who owns a high end gun shop in MD for $2400.

One thing you will learn when collecting Chinese AK variants is to never say never, because just when you think you've seen it all something you've not heard of or seen before will show up. Its possible you do not have a Norinco rifle at all, but rather one of the Polytechs that made it into the country virtually identical to the Norinco variants. A lot of the information on these firearms is word of mouth, with academically supported facts few and far between. Rumor has it that some of the importers were able to specially order variants with features to their own demand, so there are a number of very interesting rifles out there in circulation.

The Polytechs usually bring more money than the Norinco's due to the fewer number in country. The spiker bayonets are also common with the Polytech rifles, so the more information you can share the better your chances are of getting an estimated value. You could very well be right about it bringing $2,000 plus, its all matter of finding out exactly what you have. Some of the numbers I provided above are on the conservative end, as they can easily fetch $1500 and even more depending on model and original box, accessories. If you see any identifying features on the trunnion, such as the number 386, 416 etc. this is also very helpful in identification.

When buying these firearms, its important to do your research and know exactly what you're getting into. It is very easy to over pay and/or get a rifle that has been modified beyond its original configuration. I've known of people who buy these firearms and attempt to modify factory numbers and model variants in an attempt to bring more money than they are actually worth. And it never seems to phase them that they are doing wrong, their only concern is how much money can they make.

Some things to look for in these models are matching numbers on all parts to include trunnion, gas tube, bolt, bolt carrier, recoil spring guide rod and dust cover. Not all variants have the same individual pieces serialized, so its important to know what lay beneath the water before jumping in.

There is also the infamous Bwest series of rifles, some regard them as little more than part kit rifles and others swear there is nothing wrong with them. The controversy usually centering around the domestically made non-heat treated receivers. Some of the Bwest models that were actually imported in from China seem to have a much better reputation.

We've got some very knowledgable folks at this forum, so the more information you can share the better your chances are of getting an estimated value. In the end its about what the rifle is worth to you, what you're willing to let it go for and how much someone is willing to pay. Again, gorgeous specimen and something many would like to have sitting in their safe or display.

#939211 - 08/24/15 09:50 PM Re: Pre-ban norinco info [Re: Rdsulli]
Rdsulli Offline
Gixxer

I can say that all of the numbers match. There are a few markings on the side, I tried to capture them as best as I could.

#939214 - 08/24/15 09:52 PM Re: Pre-ban norinco info [Re: Rdsulli]
Rdsulli Offline
Gixxer

Pics

Attachments
image.jpg

image.jpg

#939215 - 08/24/15 09:53 PM Re: Pre-ban norinco info [Re: Rdsulli]
Rdsulli Offline
Gixxer

Pics

Attachments
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

#939216 - 08/24/15 09:54 PM Re: Pre-ban norinco info [Re: Rdsulli]
Rdsulli Offline
Gixxer

Pics

Attachments
image.jpg

image.jpg

#939248 - 08/24/15 11:36 PM Re: Pre-ban norinco info [Re: Rdsulli]
g-shooter Offline
Great at putting the worm on the hook!!

Loc: NoVa
City or County: Alexandria
MAK-90 - Might be worth $1K if you find the right guy and everything else is super correct.

There were a bunch of air gun stocks that came into the country, that don't quite fit an AK. If it is one of those they are worth a little less.

I have a couple of converted MAKs. Super nice shooter, but don't command the same ching as the pre-bans.

If you are a Leader without followers you aren't leading...you are taking a walk.

#939550 - 08/25/15 05:48 PM Re: Pre-ban norinco info [Re: Rdsulli]
Rdsulli Offline
Gixxer

Well damn sounds I lost in that deal.

#1092927 - 09/15/16 04:46 PM Re: Pre-ban norinco info [Re: Rdsulli]
CheroHunt Offline
Another old, not old guy

Loc: Midlothian, VA
City or County: Chesterfield
Yep. De-banned MAK 90. Still a nice gun but not worth the $2400 your buddy said he paid.