Who's Online
8 registered (Eric Pugh, BillofRights, melon0111, solidsnak3, graybeard, 3 invisible), 6 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1107555 - 10/20/16 05:31 PM Hunting in No Rifle counties with rifle caliber handgun.
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

Loc: VA
City or County: Pulaski
Some counties in Virginia have ordinances for no rifles for hunting. By the letter of the law, I can still use a pistol in a rifle caliber. Is that correct? Has anybody here been hassled for doing such?
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

#1107600 - 10/20/16 07:04 PM Re: Hunting in No Rifle counties with rifle caliber handgun. [Re: rromeo]
Va Hunter Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Drakes Branch
City or County: Charlotte
No rifle also means no pistol. In other words shotgun only is shotgun only. I know a fellow who got a ticket for hunting with a pistol in a shotgun only county. Conceal carry is okay in a shotgun only country. Call the DGIF or your local possum cop to hear it from them.

#1107647 - 10/20/16 08:49 PM Re: Hunting in No Rifle counties with rifle caliber handgun. [Re: rromeo]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

Loc: VA
City or County: Pulaski
It doesn't say shotgun only, it says no rifles.
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

#1107856 - 10/21/16 11:40 AM Re: Hunting in No Rifle counties with rifle caliber handgun. [Re: rromeo]
Va Hunter Offline
Gun fool

Here's the number for the DGIF regional office near you. 276-525-7522 I'd call them to verify before I went hunting.

#1107995 - 10/21/16 05:43 PM Re: Hunting in No Rifle counties with rifle caliber handgun. [Re: rromeo]
Va Hunter Offline
Gun fool

It's in the hunting regulations under firearm use. Here's what it says about handguns for hunting. Here it is word for word.

Pistols, revolvers, and muzzleloading pistols may be used for small game, except where prohibited by local ordinances.
Pistols and revolvers are lawful for deer and bear hunting only in those counties where hunting deer and bear with rifles is lawful. Cartridges used must be .23 caliber or larger and have a manufacturer’s rating of 350 footpounds muzzle energy or more.

#1108912 - 10/24/16 09:54 AM Re: Hunting in No Rifle counties with rifle caliber handgun. [Re: rromeo]
vatopa Offline
Double barrel

Loc: virginia beach
City or County: virginia beach
center fire handguns are considered rifles in VA as for the hunting regs. I emailed the vdgif about this.

#1109212 - 10/24/16 09:37 PM Re: Hunting in No Rifle counties with rifle caliber handgun. [Re: Va Hunter]
the cwa Offline
MODERATLY MONITORING MODERATOR

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Prince George,23842
Originally Posted By: Va Hunter
It's in the hunting regulations under firearm use. Here's what it says about handguns for hunting. Here it is word for word.

Pistols, revolvers, and muzzleloading pistols may be used for small game, except where prohibited by local ordinances.
Pistols and revolvers are lawful for deer and bear hunting only in those counties where hunting deer and bear with rifles is lawful. Cartridges used must be .23 caliber or larger and have a manufacturer’s rating of 350 footpounds muzzle energy or more.

Nailed it. That's good work Va Hunter. Check your local laws as well, you may be able to use shotgun slugs. That's how it is around here. frown

If you were a hotdog, and you were starving, would you eat yourself?

HEY, we all know that the moon is not made of green cheese. but what if it was made of barbecue spare ribs, would you eat it then?

#1109324 - 10/25/16 08:02 AM Re: Hunting in No Rifle counties with rifle caliber handgun. [Re: rromeo]
volfan59 Offline
Full Auto

Loc: New Castle, Virginia
City or County: Craig
You can also use a muzzle loader in most, if not all, counties in lieu of a shotgun if you wish.