Who's Online
3 registered (Ctc, Apec, 1 invisible), 21 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1137172 - 12/31/16 10:23 AM 9mm reloaded case blow out, any thoughts.....
Puddle Jumper Offline
Addicted

Loc: Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
City or County: Shenandoah Valley
I was shooting with a buddy the other day and he had a 9mm reloaded case blow out on him (pictured below).The loads are about 15 years old and I do not know the guy who reloaded them, so I don't know much about them, other than it was 124gr FMJ 9mm. I do not know how many times this case was reloaded or the powder or the amount of powder, so not much info to give. He was given a bunch of these and he has shot over 1000 of them and this is the only incident he has had with the reloads. He was shooting a sig P226 and the gun had no issue after this incident. I am just curious as to what cause this, and ideas you all may have seen or heard about,. Here are my guesses....
case weakness, maybe shot too many times
over loaded, too much powder
too much crimp, bullet sticking in case, causing slide to move and then the pressure blew out the case as the slide was coming back...?
what do you think.

Attachments
IMG_0561.JPG

#1137203 - 12/31/16 11:38 AM Re: 9mm reloaded case blow out, any thoughts..... [Re: Puddle Jumper]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Loc: Various
City or County: Various
Originally Posted By: Puddle Jumper
Here are my guesses....
case weakness, over loaded, too much crimp...
what do you think.

Could be...

Show the primer in the next pic. And a few other cases (any localized bulging?)

What gun?

It could also be the gun... overly reamed chamber (it happens).

These are .454C factory new rounds shot from a Rossi 92... FYI, gun was shipped back to Rossi for a new barrel

Edited by Cash is King (12/31/16 11:38 AM)

I-95 "Fast Lanes" solved NOTHING!!!

#1137805 - 01/01/17 07:55 PM Re: 9mm reloaded case blow out, any thoughts..... [Re: Puddle Jumper]
Puddle Jumper Offline
Addicted

Hey CIK, no bulging primers that I could find, and the gun was a Sig P226, which he has not had any problems with before that day. So I am leaning towards an over charged load. I looked thru the empty brass from that day and cannot find any brass with the slight rim around like the one in the original post picture. Seems to be the round not the gun, kinda weird, for sure.

Attachments
IMG_0568.JPG

#1137832 - 01/01/17 08:43 PM Re: 9mm reloaded case blow out, any thoughts..... [Re: Puddle Jumper]
scythefwd Offline
Pea Shooter

Loc: KS
City or County: Lenexa
thats oob. No way in hell the case would be blown outwards if it was in the chamber.. only way to get that much protrusion to the side is if it was completely unsupported.. even original glock 40 barrels weren't that unsupported...

#1137839 - 01/01/17 09:05 PM Re: 9mm reloaded case blow out, any thoughts..... [Re: Puddle Jumper]
mequirky Offline
Conversion Madness

Loc: Dale City Va.
City or County: Dale City
+1 for Scy, that's an OOB.

What me worry?
A.E. Newman

#1137871 - 01/01/17 11:15 PM Re: 9mm reloaded case blow out, any thoughts..... [Re: Puddle Jumper]
Puddle Jumper Offline
Addicted

How does that happen...? We fired that gun many time after that with no issue...

#1137874 - 01/01/17 11:26 PM Re: 9mm reloaded case blow out, any thoughts..... [Re: Puddle Jumper]
mequirky Offline
Conversion Madness

Loc: Dale City Va.
City or County: Dale City
This look familiar? Look Here

What me worry?
A.E. Newman

#1137875 - 01/01/17 11:35 PM Re: 9mm reloaded case blow out, any thoughts..... [Re: Puddle Jumper]
LaserJock Offline
B * L * U * E

Loc: NoVA 22192
City or County: NoVA 22192
As I stated in the shoutbox and Bugzy tried to correct me that's an out of battery brass failure.

Break down the slide and look for a bent spring, brass or lead residue or carbon buildup that's keeping the firing pin from retracting.

#1137974 - 01/02/17 09:00 AM Re: 9mm reloaded case blow out, any thoughts..... [Re: Puddle Jumper]
Puddle Jumper Offline
Addicted

I will get together with the friend and we will break that sig down and check the firing pin, thanks..!