Who's Online
22 registered (Lupe, goosenfl, spaatz11, Kendo, riverlife87, MattP5251, antiquerer, Gkimon, 270Rem, RedBeardOutlaw, Twf93, SlickStang, Eric Pugh, wrickster, BoxcarWillie, Leper_Messiah, 50GyrojetSquib, Dynarider84, 4 invisible), 12 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1144294 - 01/16/17 02:22 PM selling multiple SBR's
bartlettguntrust Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Galax
City or County: galax
I have about 12 SBR's now, I've been collecting for 5 or so years. 95% of these were Form 1, which I purchased as Pistols.

I have however, never sold any Class 3 Items.
- What would the correct process be selling a Class III item to someone else in Virgina?
- Someone out of state?

Am I able to take the stock back off, and sell as a Pistol?

Thanks! just looking for some insight

#1144352 - 01/16/17 04:28 PM Re: selling multiple SBR's [Re: bartlettguntrust]
Halligan Offline
Take a look it's in a book reading revolvers.

Loc: Powhatan
City or County: Powhatan
You have a few options...

1. You contact the ATF and have them remove them from the NFA. You of course have to remove what makes them a SBR (Barrel/Stock/Whatever). Snochy Boochy you have non NFA item again. You obviously have lost your $200. Again you HAVE TO contact the ATF to take it off the NFA list. Depending on if the time frame you may have to contact your local LEO body and tell them you no longer have the item/it does not meet the criteria for NFA.

2. Sell them as SBR's...This will take a bit. You will have to retain possession of them while the "other guy's" paper work is in limbo. If you were a nice guy you could go to the range WITH them and have them shoot there future gun but you can't just leave it with them because while in limbo you are still "on the hook" for it. Selling to a FFL would be different.

Most class 3 sold "used" as a individual usually take a bath on the item to move it. Super hard to move. Most people will convert back to a non NFA item.

Good luck

#1144799 - 01/17/17 06:31 PM Re: selling multiple SBR's [Re: bartlettguntrust]
bustedknee Offline
Curmudgeon

Loc: Southwest Va
City or County: Wythe
I was told by an attorney, you can add the buyer to your trust and you are good to go.

It actually makes sense to me.

#1145050 - 01/18/17 09:33 AM Re: selling multiple SBR's [Re: bustedknee]
Halligan Offline
Take a look it's in a book reading revolvers.

Loc: Powhatan
City or County: Powhatan
Originally Posted By: bustedknee
I was told by an attorney, you can add the buyer to your trust and you are good to go.

If you do this you have added 1,2,3,4, + people to your trust that you don't know and will never see again. If something happens to you? There is a "stranger" on YOUR trust that now brings up issues. Why would you possibly want to add people who you don't know to a legal piece of paperwork tied to a possible estate FOREVER?

This is teriable 3rd party legal advice you are handing out!

#1145665 - 01/19/17 05:58 PM Re: selling multiple SBR's [Re: Halligan]
bustedknee Offline
Curmudgeon

Loc: Southwest Va
City or County: Wythe
Originally Posted By: Halligan
Originally Posted By: bustedknee

If you do this you have added 1,2,3,4, + people to your trust that you don't know and will never see again. If something happens to you? There is a "stranger" on YOUR trust that now brings up issues. Why would you possibly want to add people who you don't know to a legal piece of paperwork tied to a possible estate FOREVER?

This is teriable 3rd party legal advice you are handing out!

Engage brain!

His thought was to put the buyer in the trust then remove yourself.

Its now his trust.

People come and go all the time.

BTW, who the heck do you sell guns to?

Edited by bustedknee (01/19/17 06:03 PM)

#1148329 - 01/25/17 08:02 AM Re: selling multiple SBR's [Re: bartlettguntrust]
Hansohn Brothers Offline
NFA Dealer

Loc: Culpeper
City or County: Culpeper
Originally Posted By: bartlettguntrust
- What would the correct process be selling a Class III item to someone else in Virgina?
Form 4
Quote:
- Someone out of state?
Form 4 to out-of-state dealer
Quote:
Am I able to take the stock back off, and sell as a Pistol?
Yes. Send a letter to NFA branch stating no longer NFA. No need to wait for a response, takes several months.
Follow us on Instagram

#1148574 - 01/25/17 06:54 PM Re: selling multiple SBR's [Re: bartlettguntrust]
Bugzy Offline
OTTO FOOL 1%er

Loc: VA.
City or County: Peninsula area
Form 1 SBR's aren't worth much more than a standard upper to most buyers.

Just a thought.

#1151231 - 01/31/17 01:52 AM Re: selling multiple SBR's [Re: bartlettguntrust]
stockram Offline
Tactical Tommy Commando

Loc: louisa
City or County: louisa
I know what bustedknee is trying to say. I have heard lawyers talk about this lately but it only works if the item you are selling is the only item on the trust. Basically you are selling the trust and whatever items are in it go with it. Sounds good in theory but I'm waiting to see who gets busted for it first. Follow hansohn brothers advice. He won't steer you wrong. Chris knows his stuff.