Who's Online
5 registered (surfer134, Kevinlee93, Shanewhitehead, wmolnar, 1 invisible), 14 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1160217 - 02/18/17 08:53 AM Vacuum sealing food
Mark S Offline
Mark S

Loc: Rappahannock County, VA
City or County: Front Royal
I'm looking at this from 2 angles.

First, the long term storage for creating supplies in case of a natural disaster and the like, which would mostly mean dry foods. I've got canned hams and other meats.

Second, the fact that it is just me and the wife now (for the most part) and I like to shop at a minimum so when I hit Costco or even Safeway, I tend to buy in bulk. The problem is that as hard as I might try to rebag chicken and steaks, getting all off the air our to avoid freezer burn is at best 50-50 for me.

My question. What vacuuming methods, devices, systems are good for sealing up meat for the freezer and stuff like rice and pasta?

I have an emergency generator with direct access to my gas line so even when the electricity is out both of my refrigerators operate as long as there is gas, so I don't mind having a freezer full of meat. I also keep 2 propane tanks so I can cook/dry the meat on my grill if it looks like the gas might go too.

If I wanted to store pasta, rice, flour, etc., I figured I do it in large meal sized bags (use over a couple of days) without having to open the entire supply.

What vacuum packing systems do you use and why? Is it economical? I'd rather do this than buy a lot of freeze dried stuff, I figured I'd use a marker to write the processing date on the bag and use it at the end of whatever period it was deemed usable.

#1160669 - 02/19/17 07:51 AM Re: Vacuum sealing food [Re: Mark S]
troutnut Offline
Fish fear me.

Loc: Mcgaheysville
City or County: Rockingham
I have a cheaper Foodsaver vacuum sealer from Amazon. Around $75 I think , I've used it 4-5 years . Had pretty much the same one before, just got to the point it would not seal properly. It works great for my use . I do 5-6 deer a year and can several others. I do a lot of fish fillets and bulk meats from the store, hand cut Ribeyes and such. Never done pasta or rice but it should work.

#1160670 - 02/19/17 08:00 AM Re: Vacuum sealing food [Re: troutnut]
Mark S Offline
Mark S

Loc: Rappahannock County, VA
City or County: Front Royal
Originally Posted By: troutnut
I have a cheaper Foodsaver vacuum sealer from Amazon. Around $75 I think , I've used it 4-5 years . Had pretty much the same one before, just got to the point it would not seal properly. It works great for my use . I do 5-6 deer a year and can several others. I do a lot of fish fillets and bulk meats from the store, hand cut Ribeyes and such. Never done pasta or rice but it should work.

this one?

https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-Vacuum-...oodsaver+vacuum

#1161036 - 02/20/17 12:56 AM Re: Vacuum sealing food [Re: Mark S]
troutnut Offline
Fish fear me.

Loc: Mcgaheysville
City or County: Rockingham
Yep thats the one , Amazon also has some deals on bulk bags as well once you figure which sizes you use most.

#1167665 - 03/05/17 11:51 AM Re: Vacuum sealing food [Re: Mark S]
VaGunTrader Offline
The Dictator

Loc: Petersburg Va
City or County: Petersburg
http://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-sealers/...-P.html#start=8

I have one that looks more that that one. I'm not super impressed with it. It needs better vacuum suction, doesnt always get all the air out. Doesnt always seal 100%, though it appears to I find out later (the hard way) that it didnt seal all the way.

I vacuum and freeze stuff. Or vacuum and cook meat Sous Vide.

I always ALWAYS ..... ALWAYS double seal the ends, on both ends. Vacuum seal it, then use the built in razor to cut off about a half inch of the end, then stick the end of the bag back in the sealer and just seal it, not vacuum it. I've had the ends come unsealed in the freezer and ruin meat, and in the sous vide and spill the contents.

I just ordered some cheap bags off ebay, just got them and havent tried them yet.

I saw some better more professional sealers... http://www.sausagemaker.com/vacuum-packing-machines-s/2134.htm

check that sausagemaker website out, some good meat preservation stuff on there.