Who's Online
10 registered (96ImpalaSS, JDH, JordanR, mike3325, Krupp41, Browsing, Michaelmcc1214, 3 invisible), 18 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1102256 - 10/07/16 01:35 PM Why we are screwed
izymic Offline
Bolt action

Loc: NOVA
City or County: Fairfax
Most of you probably know about the AR15 case in Maryland.

A law which banned "assault weapons" passed in 2013 was challenged in Federal court in Maryland. The case is called Kolbe v. Hogan (originally filed as Kolbe v. O'Malley)

In August 2014, the trial court (Federal District court of Maryland -- first stop) found that the plaintiff Kolbe did not prove his case and upheld the Maryland AW ban. Two full years after the last filing.

Kolbe appealed to the 4th Circuit Appeals court. Absolutely huge list of amici filings in favor of Kolbe's case.

Justice Antonin Scalia dies February 13, 2016

In March 2016, the Circuit court issued a decision in Kolbe's favor and overturned the state law -- finding that there was a right to possess so-called "assault weapons."

Maryland had the choice to appeal the case to the US Supreme Court or petition for a rehearing of the entire 4th Circuit (all the judges at once). If they go to USSC, that's it. If they petition for a rehearing, they can still go to USSC.

Maryland opted for rehearing. The rehearing of the case took place on May 11, 2016.

We are still waiting on the decision. I believe they are waiting to see who is elected president. Re-hearing cases usually take 6-9 months to publish.

The presidential election is just a month away now.

If hillary is elected, (I predict) Kolbe will be decided in the plaintiff's favor, overturning Maryland's aw ban. Hillary will install her justice. Merrick Garland will sit. Garland is a noted anti-gun judge on the DC circuit.

That will then put the 4th Circuit in conflict with the 2nd and 9th circuits which have already ruled on nearly identical cases (Silveira v Lockyer and Shew v. Malloy).

Maryland will then appeal the case to SCOTUS and will be granted cert. Why? 1. The case involves a fundamental question of the constitution and 2. it involves a dispute among the circuits.

SCOTUS will review the cases and decide that even though the reasoning of Heller applies (i.e. common ownership, ubiquitous) the "extreme nature" of these weapons warrants an exclusion to the Heller doctrine. SCOTUS will vote 5-4 and overturn Kolbe and "2nd Amendment does not protect AWs" will become the law of the land.

Within a year, Hillary's ATF appointee (who will it be? Obama? Satan?) will issue a proposed change to the CFR which will reclassify all AWs as DD's. Opposition to the measure will be 99:1. ATF will pass it anyway. Don't tell me that they can't do it without changing federal law -- the AG has the authority under 18 USC 921 to find that a GCA firearm does not meet the "sporting purpose" rule and can be reclassified as a Destructive Device and subject to 26 USC (NFA).

Multiple lawsuits will be filed. All will be dismissed citing Kolbe -- no right to have an AW. AG has authority to reclassify based on sporting purposes under 18 USC.

New regs will require Federal registration of AWs within 1 year of the enactment. After that, unregistered possession of a DD (USC 924(c) are either 10 years or 30 years minimum (not kidding) and/or up to $250,000 fine per.

That's how it will happen. I have been right every single time I have called it like this.

If you think I am crazy, just look at the case history for US v. Miller. The trial judge overturned the NFA as unconstitutional!

Judge Heartsill Ragon, the one who found the NFA to be unconstitutional -- was an FDR appointee who served the the House and had vocally advocated for multiple restrictions on firearms. As a member of the US House, he co sponsored a bill that would have banned all private handgun ownership and another bill that banned interstate mailing of handguns.

The solicitor general of the US wanted a test case which found in favor of the NFA. This was it. Ragon issued a memorandum decision -- unheard of even today in constitutional issue cases -- and did not even state his reasoning.

His memorandum decision is ONE HALF OF A PAGE. Overturned a federal law for being violative of the constitution and did not provide even one reason to support it. Read it! https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?...amp;oi=scholarr

If you hate Trump, hold your nose and vote for him.

"The supreme court is wrong on the Second Amendment" -- Hillary Clinton

"Well, I'm a big Second Amendment person. As an example, for the horrible thing that just took place in Oregon had somebody in that room had a gun, the result would have been better." -- Donald Trump

Listen to the video of her saying that Heller was decided WRONG -- i.e. she says the right to keep a handgun IN YOUR HOME FOR SELF PROTECTION is wrong.

VOTE!!

#1129906 - 12/12/16 11:19 PM Re: Why we are screwed [Re: izymic]
TMVA Offline
VGT SWAT

Loc: Richmond west end
City or County: Henrico
This is a fascinating read - well written and reasoned.

Where are we now, post election, awaiting President Trump?
Psalm 22:11

#1130530 - 12/14/16 01:01 PM Re: Why we are screwed [Re: izymic]
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

Loc: VA
City or County: 22973

President elect Trump’s candidates are, unsurprisingly, committed judicial conservatives. Mr. Trump credited two leading conservative policy groups — the Heritage Foundation and the Federalist Society.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-relea...t-justice-picks

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/policies/constitution-and-second-amendment/
I’ll gladly take questionable mean tweets, a strong economy, energy independence and a Respected Country, over high inflation, millions of illegals aliens, mask/ vaccine mandates and pedophile in chief.

#1168568 - 03/07/17 11:02 AM Re: Why we are screwed [Re: TMVA]
izymic Offline
Bolt action

Loc: NOVA
City or County: Fairfax
Originally Posted By: TMVA
This is a fascinating read - well written and reasoned.

Where are we now, post election, awaiting President Trump?

All I can say is that Trump is a clown, but he's making the right moves despite his clowning.

Mike Pence FTW