Who's Online
22 registered (merlint325, njmdoza, alexva, Dia, EHCRain, Ctc, cartoonist, ceh92, Bbrenn, mshelton89, bat21, atnads, Jackpot2108, JND, red3, sleepysohc, DC4INTEGRA, Com 45acp, chase45hicks, KryptoF15, 2 invisible), 18 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1199123 - 05/16/17 04:56 PM My Maryland Buyer "Gilbert"
Verylargeboots Offline
Professional FUDD Hater

Loc: VA
City or County: Lynchburg
So I listed my pistol in a few places, and got an Email from "Gilbert". I asked of he was purchasing or trading, and this is the reply I received:

"Thanks for acknowledging my message, the condition of the Gun is great and the price as well. Just so you know I am located in Maryland, Baltimore , and I relocated here 2 weeks ago. I relocated for work. I have other stuffs in my old apartment which includes (refrigerator, gun wardrobe, kitchen items, grand piano, garage items, Big tires, baby stuffs, a Ruger SR40c 9mm, and a WW2 M1 carbine which they are moving for me., A FFL dealer among the pick up agent will meet with you to do a transfer to him then he will bring the gun to Me and do a transfer to Me (so its not a straw purchase). They will deliver them all together with my things so you don't have to ship it. For the payment, I will be mailing you a cashiers check and I will as well add extra $100 to the asking price if you can hold it for me till check arrives and cashed. I will send you a copy of there FFL, though he would coming to pick up with a hard copy of the FFL so you will apply signatures where necessary. we can deal with all that when its time after payment is through. If this is OK, please get in touch with your name and mailing address to send the cashiers check to. Include your phone # as well so I will be able to contact you for fluent communication. Thanks"

Obviously, I did not go through with this. Scam, duh.

Just thought I'd share, not only for the laughs, but also so yall can be aware of ol Maryland Gilbert.
His emails came from different adresses, so I'll post them here:
Sweetstoner7@yahoo.com
Sweetstoner72@gmail.com
Sweetfeet@clr.gov

He also goes by the name of Thomas, just received a second one yesterday in response to a different post of mine on armslist.

Edited by Verylargeboots (07/14/17 11:43 PM)

I'm not a surgeon, why? What's a little sepsis between friends?

Everyone takes a beating sometimes

#1199172 - 05/16/17 06:44 PM Re: My Maryland Buyer "Gilbert" [Re: Verylargeboots]
Execprotect Offline
Dialed In

Loc: Rappahannock County
City or County: Rappahannock County
He sounds a little different (What's with the "baby stuffs & fridge") but he seems to be at least trying to do this in a lawful, fair manner. When you get the FFl's info you can look them up on ATF.gov. It is highly unlikely (not impossible though) that he would want to involve an FFL holder if he was up to any nefarious activities. If you do not feel comfortable just tell him you prefer to only do FTF transactions with VA residents. His email addresses are a little "weird" and somewhat unusual for someone in the generally law abiding gun community but I guess as more and more states legalize marijuana we will have more community members that "partake" in a legal activity. If you feel uncomfortable don't go through with the transaction; I however would wait to see if the FFL is legit and proceed from there.

#1199188 - 05/16/17 07:38 PM Re: My Maryland Buyer "Gilbert" [Re: Verylargeboots]
panic788 Offline
Marksman

Loc: NOVA
City or County: Alexandria
you got an email that actually came from clr.gov? I didnt think such a registration existed, nor that the government would issue an email address like sweetfeet@clr.gov.

Sounds very much like a scam, and thanks for bringing it to everybody's attention.

Edited by panic788 (05/16/17 07:38 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#1199231 - 05/16/17 09:52 PM Re: My Maryland Buyer "Gilbert" [Re: Verylargeboots]
num1fordfan Offline
RUGERS and T.B.T.B.E.B

Loc: prince george , va 23875
City or County: PRINCE GEORGE
SCAM ALERT SCAM ALERT SCAM ALERT. "as well add extra $100 to the asking price if you can hold it for me till check arrives"

#1200304 - 05/19/17 02:41 PM Re: My Maryland Buyer "Gilbert" [Re: Verylargeboots]
9mmchallenger Offline
Bullseye

Loc: Hopewell
City or County: hopewell
a fake check will deposit in your account but 2 weeks later after bank can't clear they take the money back, part of the reason why banks will hold large checks for 7 to 14 days to make sure it clears

#1209080 - 06/08/17 08:24 PM Re: My Maryland Buyer "Gilbert" [Re: Verylargeboots]
1cold6pack Offline
Stamp Collector

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
City or County: Virginia Beach
Thank you for posting this, he just contacted me.

#1210863 - 06/12/17 05:04 PM Re: My Maryland Buyer "Gilbert" [Re: Verylargeboots]
1cold6pack Offline
Stamp Collector

#1210864 - 06/12/17 05:04 PM Re: My Maryland Buyer "Gilbert" [Re: Verylargeboots]
1cold6pack Offline
Stamp Collector

#1211142 - 06/13/17 09:07 AM Re: My Maryland Buyer "Gilbert" [Re: Verylargeboots]
Verylargeboots Offline
Professional FUDD Hater

Loc: VA
City or County: Lynchburg
Well gents, here's another scammer. His FFL wasn't real when I ran it through the FFL check system.

"I am glad that you respond to my email, i am really interested in buying the arm, what is your bottom dollar? I am currently located in Texas at the moment, i would like to have the gun shipped. Do not worry about shipping fee as I will cover that.

I know that you might not be willing to ship due to past experience or no experience about shipping but do not stress yourself as I have an ffl you will be shipping to and like I said earlier I will pay for the shipping. I will be making payment through certified cashier check which won't take more than 24-48hrs to clear in your account which only after that you will shipping to my ffl. Send me the name and address where you want me to mail the check to.

Attached is my ffl signed copy

Hope to read from you soon"

The email this was sent from is:

Jonmarkson002@gmail.com

I'm not a surgeon, why? What's a little sepsis between friends?

Everyone takes a beating sometimes

#1220370 - 07/04/17 08:13 AM Re: My Maryland Buyer "Gilbert" [Re: Verylargeboots]
MR_X Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Va
City or County: Chesapeake
Yes. Just got the same message from him in Armslist. Only thing is that I’m just selling an upper receiver and a rail. Didn’t know ther was a Ruger SR40 in 9mm.

“Thanks for acknowledging my message, the condition of the Gun is great and the price as well. Just so you know I am located at Maryland, Baltimore , and I relocated here 2 weeks ago. I relocated for work. I have other stuffs in my old apartment which includes (refrigerator, gun wardrobe, kitchen items, grand piano, garage items, Big tires, baby stuffs, a Ruger SR40c 9mm, and a WW2 M1 carbine which they are moving for me., A FFL dealer among the pick up agent will meet with you to do a transfer to him then he will bring the gun to Me and do a transfer to Me (so its not a straw purchase). They will deliver them all together with my things so you don't have to ship it. For the payment, I will be mailing you a cashiers check and I will as well add extra $100 to the asking price if you can hold it for me till check arrives and cashed. I will send you a copy of there FFL, though he would coming to pick up with a hard copy of the FFL so you will apply signatures where necessary. we can deal with all that when its time after payment is through. If this is OK, please get in touch with your name and mailing address to send the cashiers check to. Include your phone # as well so I will be able to contact you for fluent communication. Thanks ”

Edited by MR_X (07/04/17 08:14 AM)