Who's Online
10 registered (2022runner, Ron_L, Kevinlee93, kapon, RL15, Bn1837, 4 invisible), 19 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1195791 - 05/08/17 09:31 PM Help me understand NFA, trust, etc.
SgtSquishySquash Offline
Belt Fed

Loc: VA
City or County: Dinwiddie & Henrico
How's it going traders? So I am new to the whole NFA, non nfa, gun trust, tax stamp world.
I know firearms well. 8 year Marine Vet. But I am looking to get a suppressor. What do I need? What don't I need? Do I have to have a trust? Does that mean I don't technically own the item anymore? Does the item stay at a trust company's safe until I want to use it? I am lost. Please treat me barney style on this whole topic and help me learn a little.
Thanks folks.
If They Stand Against You, Show Them No Mercy

#1195805 - 05/08/17 10:08 PM Re: Help me understand NFA, trust, etc. [Re: SgtSquishySquash]
twidpa Offline
Marksman

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Richmond
Go to https://www.silencershop.com/services/nfa-gun-trust.html and look around. It will explain some questions for you. Several silencer dealers offer the trusts if you buy their product.
T

#1195824 - 05/08/17 10:55 PM Re: Help me understand NFA, trust, etc. [Re: SgtSquishySquash]
UBETRUN Offline
Marksman

Loc: Stafford, VA
City or County: Stafford
After July of last year, trusts became less attractive because under new ATF regulations, everyone on the trust has to be fingerprinted. Before last July, a trust allowed a person to bypass fingerprints and local LE signoff. Trusts still allow your friends/family to keep your toys after your death but they no longer make it 'easier' to get the toys in the first place the way they used to.

So, trust or individual, you buy the suppressor you want from a Class III FFL dealer, submit a Form 4 and $200 to the ATF, and wait to pick up your new toy until the ATF approves your Form 4 by sending it back to the FFL with a tax stamp. If you want to make your own suppressor which is perfectly legal as long as you don't try to make and sell them, use a Form 1 instead of a Form 4 and wait for the tax stamp to begin manufacturing.

#1195842 - 05/09/17 01:13 AM Re: Help me understand NFA, trust, etc. [Re: SgtSquishySquash]
Fmiller Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Richmond
City or County: Hanover
Look at this about a trust compared to individual ownership. If you have a suppressor in your gun safe and your wife has access to your key chain that happens to have a key to that safe then by the law she then has unlawful access to that suppressor. If you have a trust that she is a part of then no crime committed. Yes it sucks that everyone on the trust must be fingerprint​ed and photographed it still is the best way to protect your self your guns and class 3 items. Even if you don't have to worry about access to the safe by a spouse you should still get a trust so you can name a beneficiary that way if you die, become a felon or end up unable to keep your items it is easier for your items to be transferred. Have fun I just finalized my trust btw

#1195869 - 05/09/17 07:17 AM Re: Help me understand NFA, trust, etc. [Re: SgtSquishySquash]
Hansohn Brothers Offline
NFA Dealer

Loc: Culpeper
City or County: Culpeper
- For trust, if you don't intend to share your silencer without your presence, you don't need it. There is more paperwork with a trust. I wouldn't worry if your wife knows the combination to the safe, IMHO. ATF understands these circumstances. Contact https://johnpierceesq.com/nfa-trusts/ for full details.

- Need fingerprints and photos, we do all of that at our shop. No charge when you purchase a silencer. Once we have your prints, photo and signature, we can do everything electronically for future purchases.

- We prepare the forms, nothing for you to do except sign them

- NFA tax is $200 per item, only due when purchased. Add that to the cost of the silencer.

- Current wait time is about 10 months, but I expect that to get shorter soon.

- What do you want the silencer for, handgun or rifle and what calibers?
Follow us on Instagram

#1196653 - 05/10/17 10:38 PM Re: Help me understand NFA, trust, etc. [Re: SgtSquishySquash]
SgtSquishySquash Offline
Belt Fed

Loc: VA
City or County: Dinwiddie & Henrico
Thank you folks for all the help in understanding this stuff. It is good to have knowledgeable people to turn to. Stay safe.
If They Stand Against You, Show Them No Mercy

#1203896 - 05/27/17 10:12 PM Re: Help me understand NFA, trust, etc. [Re: SgtSquishySquash]
stockram Offline
Tactical Tommy Commando

Loc: louisa
City or County: louisa
If you decide you want a trust john pierce is a good gun trust lawyer and was only charging 100. That might be different now. Hansohn brothers is a excellent dealer. They make everything very simple for the customer. I have bought several cans from them over the past several years and I'm very pleased with how they treat me.

#1208390 - 06/07/17 11:52 AM Re: Help me understand NFA, trust, etc. [Re: SgtSquishySquash]
KillrWhale Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: VA - Virginia
City or County: Chesapeake
The process up front is pretty straightforward, the wait is a trial of patience.

For Individual, general process, I can't account for Trusts et al.:

1// Pick the suppressor you want, pay in full (dealer holds onto item)

2// Fill out paperwork (sometimes the dealer will do this for you just need signature).

3// Go to local Police Dep and get the blue lined Fed Fingerprint, two copies, and get finger printed. Get passport sized photos (2 or 3); do not staple.

4// Approach CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer) or whomever the city delegates to, for Chesapeake it was the Commonwealth Attorney, and wait for them to sign your forms.

5// Send packet, Form 4, to BATFE with $200 (money order, check, unsure if they take CC)

6// wait... for a few months... (reload sub-sonics and check to see if they stabilze in your firearm to pass time.)

7// wait some more until dealer lets you know Stamp arrived, pick up 'silencer' and enjoy (ATF under legal terms calls them silencers).

Don't take this as legal advice, this is just my experience; it's completely changed with Silencershop.com and the new fancy kiosks.

#1210242 - 06/11/17 01:46 PM Re: Help me understand NFA, trust, etc. [Re: SgtSquishySquash]
rek158 Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Southwest Virginia
City or County: Roanoke
A Trust for NFA has become a pain now that additional requirements have been added - prints and photo of every person named in Trust. Best course now is individual form 4 and be done with it. $200 tax with either. Trust allows any named indivual to possess / store the NFA item. Silencer Shop is your friend and will walk you through the purchase either way you want to go. Call them! Transfer times are getting shorter but figure 6 months at least.

#1225194 - 07/15/17 09:29 AM Re: Help me understand NFA, trust, etc. [Re: KillrWhale]
Hansohn Brothers Offline
NFA Dealer

Loc: Culpeper
City or County: Culpeper
Originally Posted By: KillrWhale

4// Approach CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer) or whomever the city delegates to, for Chesapeake it was the Commonwealth Attorney, and wait for them to sign your forms.

No, there is no need to have the CLEO sign anything anymore. Here's the process.

1. Buy your can.
2. We complete the form 4
3. You sign the form 4
4. Attach fingerprints and photos
5. Send the packet to ATF and notify Superintendent of State Police (or your local CLEO if you prefer)
6. Wait for the approved form 4.

If you aren't local to us, we can send a packet to you with completed form 4, fingerprint cards and complete instructions.
Follow us on Instagram

#1230522 - 07/27/17 12:58 PM Re: Help me understand NFA, trust, etc. [Re: SgtSquishySquash]
stockram Offline
Tactical Tommy Commando

Loc: louisa
City or County: louisa
Listen to Hansohn brothers. He knows what he is talking about