Who's Online
1 registered (Rudy42), 17 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1218767 - 06/30/17 01:26 PM Private sales and shipping intrastate
izymic Offline
Bolt action

Loc: NOVA
City or County: Fairfax
How about an FAQ on what's involved in legally shipping in-state to a buyer?

ATF FAQ states that it is legal to ship to a non-licensee who is a resident of the same state. This applies to private sales.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-common-or-contract-carrier

I'm in Fairfax, and see plenty of guns I'd like to get that are in the far corners of the state -- too far to drive.

The main issues I see are proof of ID etc but that could be dealt with by requiring the Bill of Sale be notarized by the buyer (must show proof of ID to the notary).

I have looked and do not see any Virginia laws dealing with this at all.

#1221086 - 07/05/17 07:23 PM Re: Private sales and shipping intrastate [Re: izymic]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

Loc: VA
City or County: Pulaski
It is legal. What's involved is that you need to use the post office, because UPS and Fed Ex will only ship to an FFL.
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

#1221300 - 07/06/17 11:19 AM Re: Private sales and shipping intrastate [Re: izymic]
izymic Offline
Bolt action

Loc: NOVA
City or County: Fairfax
Thanks, I figured that. I'm annoyed because it seems to be a well-kept secret and even GunBroker's shipping/sales info doesn't refer to it. In fact, they specifically state that ALL guns must be shipped to an FFL.

#1224339 - 07/13/17 07:31 AM Re: Private sales and shipping intrastate [Re: izymic]
BigDogDaddy Offline
Got Guns?

Loc: Gloucester, Virginia
City or County: Gloucester
Keep in mind you can only ship rifles and shotguns within state using the USPS, when shipping to a private party. Handguns have to go thru an FFL.

Look in the ATF article that you opened. It states "a common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun". That would be UPS/Fed-X.

Laws change all the time, but I believe this is currently correct.

#1225221 - 07/15/17 10:57 AM Re: Private sales and shipping intrastate [Re: izymic]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

Loc: VA
City or County: Pulaski
Yes, so while it is technically legal to ship a handgun in state without an FFL, it is impossible due to UPS and Fed Ex regulations
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.