Who's Online
9 registered (Kurt, Gnome, Timber48, dzz, LockdStockd, AIM_BUT_I_STILL_MISS, kevin123, 2 invisible), 10 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1085207 - 08/27/16 02:26 PM Aim Surplus-Possible Online Order Fraud
phoeab Offline
Back on the East Coast, but in Maryland.

Loc: Berlin, MD
City or County: Worcester County, MD
Hi Everyone,

I had a strange experience with AIM Surplus over the last 24 hours. I placed an online order with them on the morning of 8/26, never received a confirmation email as is customary with most online sales and there is no processing queue with my bank. Again, usually there is a pending transaction on the account immediately, but there is nothing. Their website shows a pending transaction with order number. I am NOT saying that AIM is shady or selling CC info., so don't think I am bad mouthing them or anything, I'm not. I find it unusual that there is no pending transaction from them... and then...

My bank account was cleaned out this morning, I mean everything gone and overdraft coverage almost maxed. Luckily its my personal account and not the family account that we pay bills out of. My bank called me and they are good about fraud protection so that's not an issue. I don't place online orders very often and this is the most recent one so it MIGHT be related.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the AIM Surplus website MIGHT be compromised for now and to maybe hold off on any orders you might be planning. I repeat, I am NOT saying that AIM is shady or selling CC info. I have emailed their sales team and can post updates if anyone is interested.

Be Safe and Happy Shooting!!

#1085232 - 08/27/16 03:53 PM Re: Aim Surplus-Possible Online Order Fraud [Re: phoeab]
Contract_Soldier Offline
Marksman

Loc: Chesapeake
City or County: Chesapeake
April of this year, I received a letter from AIM stating that their site was hacked. The company seems actively engaged in correcting problems. Give them a call, they may help you directly by way of providing credit monitoring (which they did in the earlier breach) or possibly some other service.

Good luck!

#1086952 - 08/31/16 08:54 PM Re: Aim Surplus-Possible Online Order Fraud [Re: phoeab]
houndstooth Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Nova
Crazy. I always use the virtual card numbers now. You can generate them online if you have BOA.

#1089671 - 09/07/16 05:37 PM Re: Aim Surplus-Possible Online Order Fraud [Re: phoeab]
phoeab Offline

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice. I am not sure it was AIM's fault after all. Apparently there is no way of knowing what happened. My bank has no idea and I am not going to speculate on any wrong doing. I guess in this day and age, stuff like this just happens.

AIM's sales team has been nothing but understanding and helpful so far. They appear to have great customer service.

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else anytime soon as its a real pain.

Moderators and Administrators of Virginia Gun Trader are welcome to delete this post as it does not necessarily pertain to AIM Surplus.

Be Safe and Happy Shooting!!

Edited by phoeab (09/08/16 05:26 PM)
Edit Reason: Strike suggested deletion

#1089729 - 09/07/16 08:10 PM Re: Aim Surplus-Possible Online Order Fraud [Re: phoeab]
LaserJock Offline
B * L * U * E

Loc: NoVA 22192
City or County: NoVA 22192
This is a good post and should stick. The happy ending makes it a good read and I thank you for sharing this in a very informative manner and with a cool head.

It shows what can happen in the digital world and is an important topic to be aware of.

#1089788 - 09/07/16 10:49 PM Re: Aim Surplus-Possible Online Order Fraud [Re: phoeab]
lue-jones Offline
Demigod

Loc: Virginia, USA.
City or County: Vinton
There have been many, many reports of credit card/bank fraud reported lately at firearm forums across the net. In particular, APEX and Aimsurplus have been mentioned as the chief parties involved. So this is not an isolated incident by any means and I would have to think you do not have to be sherlock holmes to put the pieces together.

A quick google search will reveal many similar stories lately and it has definitely made me reconsider my online purchases and activity.

#1089920 - 09/08/16 11:11 AM Re: Aim Surplus-Possible Online Order Fraud [Re: lue-jones]
phoeab Offline

Thanks for the heads up. I had placed an order with APEX about 2 weeks before the fraudulent charges showed up. I really only used this card for items not in the family's budget so those two online purchases were the only ones in about 2 months (just my luck that it's from, not one, but both websites in question). I just read over at akforum that many others had a similar experience after ordering online from APEX. I guess my only recourse is to notify my bank to the suspicion. Based on folks over at the akforum, APEX is not accepting responsibility.

Thanks again

#1253030 - 09/16/17 04:37 PM Re: Aim Surplus-Possible Online Order Fraud [Re: houndstooth]
sousana Offline
Golani Sheli

Loc: Hampton Roads, Peninsula
City or County: Hampton
Originally Posted By: houndstooth
Crazy. I always use the virtual card numbers now. You can generate them online if you have BOA.

I do the exact same thing. Use one time credit card numbers issued from BOA website. All you do is log into BOA and input how much the charge will be and you'll get a one time card number good for a tad over the expected charge.
6 civilians
2 suicide bombers
To all, never forgotten, to all the HM's I went to "A/C" school with, Semper Fi" Fair winds & following seas
Total: 307