Who's Online
8 registered (thatruhondaryda, DHop, OPSCWO, graybeard, squirrel55, duracam, D24T11, 1 invisible), 6 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1328583 - 03/09/18 08:08 PM Carey_Edwards
jpa0118 Offline
Addicted

Loc: NOVA
City or County: stafford
I reached out to this member about an item he had posed for sale. After some back and forth we finally arrived at an ammo plus cash trade for his gun and set a date and time and amount. The meet was supposed to be the morning of the 3/9. Now while some might debate it, the generally understood and accepted methodology for this site is that once you agree on a price, time, and date, the deal is set and it is expected to be honored. This member contacted me tonight (3/8) and told me that he was sorry and he would not be following through with the deal as he had received a better cash offer and he needed the money. Now again, it is widely accepted in this community that your word is your bond. I know personally that I have passed up many dollar bills in last minute better offers to honor my word, as its worth more to me than money. This member obviously does not live by that standard. I am not saying he is a bad guy, only that if you deal with him, you should understand that his word is worth as much as the next better cash offer. The worst thing is that had he reached out to me and explained that he needed more money, I would have added more cash to meet his needs.

#1328683 - 03/10/18 07:39 AM Re: Carey_Edwards [Re: jpa0118]
BobVA Offline
Site proctologist

Loc: Dale City, Virginia
City or County: Prince William
PM sent to Carey_Edwards encouraging him to respond. Others not involved in this transaction are NOT to respond.

"Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance." - Robert Quillen

"It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln

#1328787 - 03/10/18 12:37 PM Re: Carey_Edwards [Re: jpa0118]
Carey_Edwards Offline
Single barrel

Loc: VA
City or County: Stafford
Good Afternoon,

I am sorry that you were upset with my decision to pull out of the deal prior to our meet because I received a better offer. While it may be an "unspoken code" to be bound by words when coming to an agreement to make a sale on, at the end of the day this is a forum or tool that provides individuals the opportunity and the ability to make sales/trades for either the price they desire or for items they feel are of equal or greater value. I provided the member advanced notice and am explanation as to why I was not making the sale, which is still ultimately my decision. I imagine the outcome could have still been the same if I decided to keep the item in question instead of selling it. The member did not provide any advance payment and had no other claims of ownership. Better I give advanced notice rather than just not show up at the meeting location. I am sorry this happened but I refuse to have my personal integrity or character called into question because someone is upset that things didn't go their way. I still apologize for the late notice but it is just the way the circumstances played out.

#1328819 - 03/10/18 02:14 PM Re: Carey_Edwards [Re: jpa0118]
jpa0118 Offline
Addicted

Loc: NOVA
City or County: stafford
You misunderstand, I am not upset that I was not able to buy the gun from you. To say that I am upset is also inaccurate. Disappointed is probably the better word for it, as this is an issue that many members here have dealt with. As your point of keeping the item, I would not have really had any negative feelings toward that, as I find that a much more acceptable reason than "someone offered me more money". And again, had you simply reached out to me and explained that you needed more money, I would have had no issues adding cash. Again that is where the disappointment comes in. You want to chalk this up to me being angry or frustrated that I didn't get a gun, a material possession, when in reality it is far more than that. And I cannot speak to your character at large, only to the way in which you choose to conduct business here. If you cannot see that this site is far more than a tool to make money, then that is unfortunate. Again, I am not saying you are bad person or that your character is flawed across the board, only that in a business sense, I believe you could have made a better decision, whether you decided to sell to me or not. I regret things turned out this way but I feel that other people interested in dealing with you have a right to know that this occurred.