Who's Online
17 registered (Bobsmicka, _d_m_e_, PMOORE, wsouth, mike3325, JBecker, carpetmuncher, fcurtiss, SgtSquishySquash, jblack87, terrye05, wmike24, brwgunner, cadi86, The Truth, 2 invisible), 11 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1276455 - 11/08/17 02:07 PM Diamondback DB-10 or Alex Pro Firearms Hunter?
str870s Offline
Some dude

Loc: VA
City or County: Highland
I ended up with two AR-pattern rifles in 308, technically both I guess the LR or SR-25 style. One was supposed to go to my father-in-law, but he decided against it (his wife wouldn't approve). I intended to keep one. Now I need to decide which one to keep.

Thoughts? Should I keep the Diamondback DB10 ($800 at Bud's) or the Alex Pro Firearms Hunter ($1200 at Bud's)? I feel like the fit and finish of the DB10 is really nice, and it functions perfectly so far. I haven't shot the APF yet, though I will before getting rid of one of them. It feels a little less precise in fit and finish, but it feels like they erred on the side of tight tolerances, which is definitely the right direction. It's got tight enough headspacing that right now it doesn't [perfectly] reliably cycle by hand with FGMM, and sometimes hangs up trying to eject. This is resolved by a little bump or force, but should loosen nicely with a few or a couple hundred explosions. :-)

Insights, especially from someone familiar with these two rifles (or their close cousins) would be appreciated.

Also, I'll be selling one of these soon, so if you're interested in buying, or shooting, let me know. I'm in Charlottesville and belong to the Rivanna Rifle and Pistol Club if you wanted to test one or both of these out.

#1359726 - 06/01/18 07:13 PM Re: Diamondback DB-10 or Alex Pro Firearms Hunter? [Re: str870s]
str870s Offline
Some dude

Loc: VA
City or County: Highland
In case anyone followed this thread, I sold the DB-10, kept the APF Hunter, had it looked at by a gunsmith and took it to the range. It's pretty awesome. The gunsmith said these are solid, well-made guns. After the range trip where I shot maybe 45-50 rounds, there's no issue cycling at all. The APF Hunter is a heavy gun, for sure, but that makes sense given its intended purpose. Perfect function, and I'm looking forward to putting some good glass on it.