Who's Online
3 registered (Ben0124, IWasToldToMakeAName, 1 invisible), 16 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#356832 - 07/15/12 10:37 AM Rules for posting and replying
VaGunTrader Offline
The Dictator

Loc: Petersburg Va
City or County: Petersburg
The goal is to keep this section free of unnecessary replies.

Its simple:
If you make a new post you will not be able to reply to your own post for 24 hours. You can still edit it at any time.

If you have something you want to say to the seller send them a PRIVATE MESSAGE.

Now if you see something wrong or questionable about the post and you think its in the best interest of the community to see your question/comment to the seller then its OK to post a reply to the seller.
Examples:
-The seller has made an error or mistake in his listing.
-The legality of the firearm is in question.
-Or perhaps the seller has not explained the enough about his listing.
But please conduct yourself in a professional manner when replying, regardless of what the seller has posted.

Alert a moderator if you see something wrong or illegal.

This is not an AUCTION site. List a price!!!
Do not ask for only a best offer. Example- Best offer over $500.
It is ok to ask a price or best offer. Example- $500 or best offer.

Always keep it legal. No illegal firearms to be sold on this website. If its full auto it better be registered. Same goes with suppressors.
You need to know the laws about barrel length too.
There are other things that can make a gun illegal.

And speaking of legal....Make sure you are buying/selling with a Virginia resident.

It's a good idea to get a bill of sale to cover yourself in the event that the gun you are buying has been stolen, or the gun you are selling is found at a crime scene one day.

#383391 - 08/30/12 09:55 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
218albemarle Offline
Gun Accessory Guru

Loc: dunnsville va
City or County: Dunnsville, va
So what can we say?
Can we comment on the gun if we have seen it in person to help the person out with his or her sale?

#386409 - 09/05/12 07:14 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: 218albemarle]
VaGunTrader Offline
The Dictator

Loc: Petersburg Va
City or County: Petersburg
Originally Posted By: 218albemarle
So what can we say?
Can we comment on the gun if we have seen it in person to help the person out with his or her sale?

Sure
if it helps the seller, or educates the buyer, etc.

just don't make silly replies.

#390194 - 09/12/12 09:01 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
VerdisQuo Offline
Hmm

Loc: Hampton Roads
City or County: Portsmouth
I suppose it would have been more appropriate to ask this question before I had all ready done it multiple times but, is ok to post in order to alert/educate someone about site rules pertaining to for sale add posts?

#390239 - 09/12/12 09:51 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
roscoe13 Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Fauquier County
City or County: Catlett
I'd say that's what PMs are for...

#390249 - 09/12/12 10:14 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
JG Offline
Tactical Tommy Commando

Loc: Tidewater/HamptonRoads area
City or County: Tidewater/HamptonRoads area
Posting rule violations is fine. There is also a 'Notify' button at the bottom of every post - that is how you can let the staff know that there is an issue.

#399038 - 09/30/12 11:47 AM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: roscoe13]
cleve00 Offline
Nice guy

Loc: Northern Virginia
City or County: Leesburg
Originally Posted By: roscoe13
I'd say that's what PMs are for...

I agree that PMs are for all comments and questions.

#410412 - 10/24/12 12:43 AM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
TrophyMike Offline
Single barrel

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Alexandria
Saw some posts with "FFL" or "FFL Sale" in the subject. Does this mean the person selling is a dealer and that the firearms transfer requires a background check? I am a newbie and just trying to understand the posts.

Thanks.

#410475 - 10/24/12 08:40 AM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
jpa Offline
Stercus Accidit

Loc: VA
City or County: Hanover
yes, exactly that

#410526 - 10/24/12 10:59 AM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
jboyd Offline
jboyd

City or County: Chesapeake
What do the different acronyms mean? i.e. TTT, BTT, BUMP, etc...

#410642 - 10/24/12 03:34 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
roscoe13 Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Fauquier County
City or County: Catlett
To The Top
Back To (the) Top
Bump means, well, bump (it back to the top)...

Roscoe

#410878 - 10/24/12 09:40 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
1gr8plumber Offline
Sheep Dog

Loc: Virginia, USA
City or County: Bumpass
I'm a little of topic here but it really frustrates me when I see someone has posted something I would love to have, so I post "I'll take it. PM sent". I send them a PM saying " I would love to have this gun. Have cash and ID in hand." and then I never here from them. So please don't post it if you don't want to sell it, and if you do sell it move it to the SOLD section.

I've been waiting over a week for a guy to get back to me on some Saiga 12 parts I'm trying to buy. Come on man treat me with some respect.

#416309 - 11/05/12 06:52 AM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
DRDinthe703 Offline
9mm Junkie

City or County: Ashland
Amen, Cary! I hear ya on that one!

#432032 - 12/05/12 11:02 AM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
BucketList Offline
BucketList

Loc: Tidewater Virginia
City or County: Virginia Beach
Consider adding this instruction to Posting Instructions.
If you post something for sale or trade, you Must check you messages a minimum of Daily.
We all get busy but we live in the age of computers and smart phones.

#432429 - 12/05/12 10:28 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: BucketList]
Ledchunkr Offline
Just a 'nuther grunt

Loc: just south of Richmond,VA
City or County: tri cities
This is hardly something that can be mandated. Still, one would think if someone is trying to make a sale, that they would check often and answer inquiries as quickly as possible. But like you said ... everybodies schedule is different.

If posts don't have activity within a couple weeks, they do stand the good possibility of being moved outa the mainstream though.
Prepping is good, but prepping without Jesus is like drilling holes in the boat. Acts 2:37-38/Proverbs 1:24-33
-----------

#433227 - 12/07/12 03:44 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: Ledchunkr]
fixithud Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Va
City or County: New Kent
how about no pming or bumping of posts by anyone other than op... list your item for sale or trade and you have to include your phone number. No 'i'll take it' or any of that other junk. worry the crap out of the seller until they relent!!!!!!!!!

#433548 - 12/08/12 10:15 AM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
DRDinthe703 Offline
9mm Junkie

City or County: Ashland
I don't have a problem with the reply feature but, maybe set it so that people can still reply but, it keeps the post where it is.

#433867 - 12/08/12 10:22 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: fixithud]
Ledchunkr Offline
Just a 'nuther grunt

Yeah, we oughta make it a rule that no one can post "PM sent" or bumping someone elses post ... wait a minute - IT ALREADY IS ! It's posted right at the top of the sale forum and they still do it anyway. If we could figure out how to hook an electrical charge into key words ... hehe

As far as mandating one has to post a phone number - fuggitaboutit. Aint gonna happen. Most of us would sign off before complying with that ... myself included. This IS the world wide web, remember ? Individual privacy is diminishing fast enuff without our help.

The bump issue aside, (needless) replies to posts clutters the thread and distracts from the OP's original intent. At one time this was used to determine a time element on just "who hollered first" ... but this is always debatable. Was it intent to buy or just fishing ? The "I'll take it" is still pretty much allowed as we take that as a posted definite. It establishes first dibs to an extent.

A large portion of the transactions here depend upon the element of trust ... and trustworthiness on the part of both buyer and seller. If underhandedness is sniffed out, we'll splash it all across "the news" (see feedback section).

The core of us are a tight community and we watch out for each other. Scoundrels beware ! shotgun
Prepping is good, but prepping without Jesus is like drilling holes in the boat. Acts 2:37-38/Proverbs 1:24-33
-----------

#434739 - 12/10/12 06:01 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
LaserJock Offline
B * L * U * E

Loc: NoVA 22192
City or County: NoVA 22192
Can the following please be added to the main body of this thread?

Or do we need another "click if you agree" session smile

Seems some users need a multiple "click if you agree" session smile

Quote:

If you want to reply to a FOR SALE post try using a PRIVATE MESSAGE.
Please, no unnecessary replies to these posts.

Example, these are not allowed:

-nice gun

-free bump

-PM sent

-any trades?

---but not limited to the above

And DO NOT make offers in the posts. Make offers using a PRIVATE MESSAGE.

#434769 - 12/10/12 06:41 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: LaserJock]
Ledchunkr Offline
Just a 'nuther grunt

I've been pushing for just that (click to agree) ever since Bax was here. Yeah, it needs to be IN YER FACE and agreed to once 'n for all by all.

After that point, we gets to shove their ice floe out into the shark infested waters ! laugh
-----------

#434826 - 12/10/12 08:19 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
LaserJock Offline
B * L * U * E

Loc: NoVA 22192
City or County: NoVA 22192

smile Can we really?

#434867 - 12/10/12 09:19 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
Robh Offline
Pea shooter

City or County: Leesburg
Why don't you have a PM button at end of the posting? You have a reply button at the end of the posting that some people think is for sending a PM. This would make it easier for new people not to break on rules.

(edit - I'm checking on that ^ )

Edited by Ledchunkr (12/11/12 12:06 AM)

#435310 - 12/11/12 05:01 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
JoeShmoe Offline
Full Auto

Loc: va
City or County: fairfax
Seems to me people are just blatantly disregarding the rules to the for sale section these days. One guys post for a motorcycle stated please don't flag my post? In other words he new what he was doing was not within the rules. Also the comments and offers are at a all time high. I'm sure it has to do with the high number of new users but darn, how hard is it to read the forum rules.

#435326 - 12/11/12 05:33 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: JoeShmoe]
Ledchunkr Offline
Just a 'nuther grunt

" ... please don't flag my post "

I took that as an indicator he was a refugee from Craigslist Joe ! hehe

Yeah, one would think the rules would be the first thing a newbie goes thru with a fine tooth comb - we did, right ? I'd thought by now that EVERYBODY had run across our "Please send offers / trades / inquiries via PM" edits posted all across the forum.

Don't make us have to pull out Plan B shotgun
-----------

#435883 - 12/12/12 06:33 PM Re: Rules for posting and replying [Re: VaGunTrader]
ibemanson Offline
Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

Loc: Enon
City or County: Chesterfield
I have learned at least one thing during my career with the federal government...you can't fix stupid...no amount of training, hand-holding, controls (like the check boxes talked about above, etc. will fix this issue with some people. Keep on trying though...it does provide value to me knowing that others are experiencing this exact same thing.

Also, because I am kinda nosy...please give us a hint of what plan b is. I might want to steal the idea and employ some/all of it depending on how reveloutionary it is. Mostly serious about this with only a hint of sarcasm...I promise.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >