VA Gun Trader thanks you!
Your donations help keep the website free and also allows for improvements.

Click the PayPal button or IM me for further info and thank you!

Whenever you use this search button to buy on Amazon, you are supporting VGT at no extra cost to you.

Anything you purchase is helping to pay for Hosting and Bandwidth.

Click image(s), below to buy on Amazon

VGT Advertisers ( Sign Up With Us )
Topic Options
#389764 - 09/11/12 11:12 PM Prepper supplies question
cgriffiths Offline
Single barrel

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Manassas
My question is... What's the best way sell/barter extra prepping supplies?

Short version of the story:

My father was completely prepped for the "big one" he expected this year. Then a few months ago he had a massive heart attack and died. He left lots of debt. He expected the economy to collapse this year and thus was buying supplies on credit and wasn't paying his bills.

I have more than enough supplies of my own so I don't want them. He had everything from generators, seed, grain grinder, camping supplies to emergency essentials food, 55 gallon drums, and bottles of propane.

I've been using the 55 gallon drums of gasoline to fuel my truck. I've taken about a ton of scrap metal to the recyclers. Given away as much cat food and as many mason jars as I can get anyone to take.

I am looking for a creative way to get rid of the (literally) tons of supplies without taking a bath on the cost, helping some people, and maybe even getting a tax write-off in the process. He literally spent thousands on emergency essentials foods. In addition to the debt the sheer wieght of supplies has crushed down one of the floors in his house about two inches. So, I have to repair his house also.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Charles

#389811 - 09/12/12 06:37 AM Re: Prepper supplies question [Re: cgriffiths]
dustydog Offline
drooling old single shot fanatic

Loc: Chester
City or County: Chester
Donate the food(human) to a local food bank,take the tax write off and feel good about helping folks out.Donate the cat food to a local shelter or animal rescue ,take the tax write off(make sure its a non profit 501) and feel good about helping animals.Repairing the house,haven't a clue,but good luck.

!! WANTED!! HUSQVARNA MODEL 25 BOLT ACTION RIFLE,CASH OR TRADE WAITING FOR RIGHT GUN!

#389813 - 09/12/12 06:46 AM Re: Prepper supplies question [Re: cgriffiths]
dschflier Offline
Marksman

Loc: Alexandria
City or County: Fairfax
I would say use it is an opportunity to meet other preppers. Sell for about 50-75% of the current cost or barter the items. Do like a a garage sale for preppers. I have found various items retain value better then others. In the process you can meet other like minded individuals.

#389833 - 09/12/12 07:39 AM Re: Prepper supplies question [Re: cgriffiths]
bigbo04 Offline
Double barrel

Loc: va
City or County: fairfax
If you plan a yard sale let everyone on this site know. I bet you get great attendance, I would definitely be interested in showing up. It will help if you post a list of what you plan to sell too.

#389881 - 09/12/12 10:03 AM Re: Prepper supplies question [Re: bigbo04]
nyquil556 Offline
Marksman

City or County: Richmond
That's a great idea. We should organize a yard sale for preppers. I would be the turnout would be huge. Something to think about.

#390127 - 09/12/12 07:11 PM Re: Prepper supplies question [Re: cgriffiths]
Tom S Offline
IF YOU FIRST DONT SUCCEED EMPTY THE MAG

Loc: Culpeper
City or County: Culpeper
If you selling the generator i would be interested in it

#390267 - 09/12/12 10:53 PM Re: Prepper supplies question [Re: cgriffiths]
JoeShmoe Offline
Full Auto

Loc: va
City or County: fairfax
prepper sale!!! I'd do a by appointment only and list most of it on this site

#390281 - 09/13/12 12:10 AM Re: Prepper supplies question [Re: cgriffiths]
cgriffiths Offline
Single barrel

Thanks for all of the input. I'll be putting a list together with photos and post it. It's going to take a while because of the immense volume of stuff. I'm going to have to catagorize everything and post in multiple parts so I don't overwhelm anyone. Feel free to MSG me with any specific requests while I'm getting the list together.

Charles

#390358 - 09/13/12 08:12 AM Re: Prepper supplies question [Re: cgriffiths]
Delta0313 Offline
Sic Vic Pacem Para Bellum

Loc: Woodbridge
City or County: Prince William
Sounds great!
Keep us posted!

#391126 - 09/14/12 06:00 PM Re: Prepper supplies question [Re: cgriffiths]
cgriffiths Offline
Single barrel

This is the first edit of this post. The Emergency Essential stuff listed is all for sale at 75% of the price paid. This price does not include the shipping or tax paid....only the price of the actual item as listed on the EE website (www.beprepared.com) Check the website for prices and please correct me if my math is wrong. I will consider trades (firearms only) at equal value to the price paid for the items as listed below (this does not include the cost paid for tax and shipping.) Again, check the website to verify prices. There is more than listed here. Less than 75% of retail and not paying shipping or tax should be a great deal for anyone that is looking to buy this stuff. I can only go by the reciepts that I have found...but all of this stuff was purchased within the last four years. Most of it was purchased within the last two years.

I'm not a retailer or reseller. All of this property is being sold by me (Charles Griffiths) to satify the debt of my father's estate. I am the administrator of his estate as appointed by Henrico County, Virginia-July 20, 2012. All items listed here are part of his estate.

All Items are located in Henrico near the intersection of I95 and Parham Road. I live in Manassas and travel back and forth on I95. I can deliver stuff to you (or meet you off of 95) if it isn't too far out of my way.

EE Superpails (attached photo): each superpail is lined with a metalized plastic liner and has an oxygen absorber in it.

Hard red wheat- 14 pails - paid $46.95 each- asking $35 each
Hard white wheat- 12 pails- paid $46.95 each- asking $35 each
Split peas- 3 pail- paid $61.95 each- asking $46 each
Lentils- 2 pails- paid $64.95 each- asking $48 each
Soft white wheat- 3 pails- paid $46.95- asking $35 each
Small white beans- 2 pails- paid $66.99 each- asking $50 each
Small red beans- 6 pails- paid $71.99 each- asking $53 each
Pinto beans- 2 pails- paid $70.95 each-asking $53 each
White sugar- 1 pail- paid $74.95 each- asking $56 each
Popcorn- 1 pail- paid $59.95 each- asking $45 each
ABC soup mix- 1 pail- paid $81.95 each- asking $61 each
Oat groats- 1 pail- paid $53.95 each- asking $40 each
White rice- 6 pails- paid $57.95 each- asking $43 each
Split Green peas- 3 pails- paid $61.95 each- asking $46 each

EE- Provident Pantry Freeze dried foods in #10 cans:I have more than is listed here.

Sweet Potato dices- 18 cans- paid $16.75 each- asking $12 each
Granola Cinnamon Almond- 9 cans- paid $11.95 each asking 8.50 each
FD milk- 18 cans - paid $17.95 each - asking $13.50 each
Roast Beef- 6 cans- paid $48 each- asking $35 each
Ground beef- 12 cans- paid $37.50- asking $28 each
Sugar- 6 cans- paid $11.75 each- asking $9 each
Spagetti noodles 19 cans- paid $9.00 each- asking $7 each
Elbow Maccaroni- 18 cans- paid $8.25 each asking $6 each
Buttermilk biscuit mix- 6 cans- paid $11.50 each- asking $8.50 each
Peas- 13 cans- paid $17- asking 12.75
Whole eggs- 15 cans- paid $18.75- asking $14 each
Blueberries- 2 cans- paid $32.95- asking $24 each
Itilian meatballs- 2 cans- paid $43 each- asking $32 each
Ham- 3 cans- paid $49- asking $36 each
Potato dices- 4 cans- paid $16- asking $12 each
ABC soup mix- 2 cans- paid $11.25 each - asking $8 each
Tomato Chunks- 2 cans- paid $41.75 each - asking $31 each
Super sweet corn- 8 cans- paid $16.25 each- asking $12 each
Whole blueberries- 2 cans- paid $32.95- asking $25
Berry blend- 1 can- paid $27.95- asking $21
Chocolate fudge brownie mix- 1 can- paid $13.25- asking $10
Bananna slices- 2 cans- paid $9.50 each- asking $7 each
Cheese blend- 2 cans- paid $21.95- asking $16 each
Muffin mix- apple- 2 cans- paid $14.75- asking $11 each Caulilower pearls- 3 cans- paid $14.25- asking $10 each
White Chicken-2 cans- paid $42.95 each- asking $32 each
White Turkey- 3 cans- paid $44.95 each- asking $33 each
Pineapple dices- 1 can- paid $23.75 each- asking $17 each
Shredded Cheddar Cheese- 3 cans- paid $39 each- asking $29 each
Tomato powder-4 cans- paid $22.50 each- asking $16.50 each
Butter powder- 4 cans- paid $22.75 each- asking $17 each

I have 26 EE food grade 6 gallon buckets with lid

Borax laundry powder:
4 lb 12 oz box- 16 boxes- paid $7 each -asking $4 each

Propane:
16 oz -small green coleman type
I have 20 file storage boxes with 12 canisters each. The two pack sells for $5-$7 at walmart. I'm asking $4.50 per two pack or $27 for a box of 12 canisters.

Dry cat food bags: This works great to trap game and in fish/minnow traps
Science Diet-optimal care-17.5 pound bags #1450- 22 bags- paid $37 each- asking $18 each
Iams Proactive health chicken- 20 pound bags- 10 bags- paid $40 each-asking $20 each
Diamond naturals- Active Cat chicken and rice- 18 pound bags- 26 bags- Paid $21 each- asking $10 each

six 55 gallon drums(steel)-$20 each or best offer
Unopened herbal suppliments-

Unused 5 gallon water bottles- I have 13- asking $15 each
http://compare.ebay.com/like/320924234515?_lwgsi=y<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Mason Jars- I have 25 twelve packs of one quart size and 10 half gallon six packs. One quart packs $5 each- Half gallon packs $8 each. If you buy a lot of these I will throw in used jars and new lids for free.

Fell free to let me know what you are looking for I may just have it. You can message me here or call/text me at 5712084406.

Thanks.
Charles

Attachments
PICT0003.jpg

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

PICT0007.jpg

Edited by cgriffiths (09/28/12 03:54 PM)
&#8213; Patrick Henry

#398256 - 09/28/12 03:55 PM Re: Prepper supplies question [Re: cgriffiths]
cgriffiths Offline
Single barrel

Just finished editing and adding new stuff.

Thanks.

Charles
&#8213; Patrick Henry

#403182 - 10/08/12 03:51 PM Re: Prepper supplies question [Re: cgriffiths]
squalus Offline
Double barrel

Loc: VA
City or County: Arlington
The most important thing to keep in mind is

YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR FATHER'S DEBTS

The bank may come after the assets of the estate, but if he didn't own the house or it's underwater then don't worry about it. The bank may call you to try to goad you into paying debts you are not responsible for, but you are under no legal obligation to do so.

If the estate had positive assets you'll have to crunch the numbers to see what makes the most sense for you.

#403189 - 10/08/12 04:03 PM Re: Prepper supplies question [Re: squalus]
Banana Offline
Save the Ta-Tas

City or County: Hampton
+1
When my f-n-l passed away credit card debt was wiped clean.

#406568 - 10/16/12 02:44 AM Re: Prepper supplies question [Re: cgriffiths]
MaxRite Offline
I'm your huckleberry

Whats the status of the supplies and possible prep-sale?

#406589 - 10/16/12 06:53 AM Re: Prepper supplies question [Re: cgriffiths]
scythefwd Offline
Pea Shooter

City or County: Manassas Park
I saw him a little while ago.. like last month and he still had a lot of stuff. PM him, set up a meet.. go shopping. He's very reasonable and great to work with.

Yeah yeah, I know there is a feed back forum for posts like this.. But all I'm really saying is that there was a metric ton of stuff left when I was there.

#406600 - 10/16/12 08:12 AM Re: Prepper supplies question [Re: cgriffiths]
JG Offline
Tactical Tommy Commando

Loc: Tidewater/HamptonRoads area
City or County: Tidewater/HamptonRoads area
+1 scythefwd

I had exactly the same experience- great family, great products, great selection. I am now confident that I've covered an area in my preps that was lacking up until now. Thanks Cgriffiths!

#406789 - 10/16/12 03:13 PM Re: Prepper supplies question [Re: cgriffiths]
MaxRite Offline
I'm your huckleberry

Sounds good. Thanks.

#407057 - 10/16/12 11:00 PM Re: Prepper supplies question [Re: cgriffiths]
cgriffiths Offline
Single barrel

I appreciate the kind words. I still have a ton of stuff to sell.

Thanks.

Charles
&#8213; Patrick Henry

#429622 - 11/30/12 07:33 PM Re: Prepper supplies question [Re: cgriffiths]
Nato Offline
Language problem

Loc: VA, USA
City or County: King George
Charles, how ya lookin' over there? still got a bunch?

#431549 - 12/04/12 02:07 PM Re: Prepper supplies question [Re: squalus]
Crumpy Offline
Bullseye

Loc: Sterling
City or County: Loudoun
Originally Posted By: squalus
The most important thing to keep in mind is

YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR FATHER'S DEBTS

This is 100% correct. Do not let the banks tell you anything different. Debts do not transfer in death.

Buy, Sell, Trade

NRA Member
NRA Business Alliance Member
VCDL Member

#440922 - 12/21/12 01:06 AM Re: Prepper supplies question [Re: cgriffiths]
cgriffiths Offline
Single barrel

I have to apologize for not responding to everyone on here quicker. My new job has been taking all of my time. My work computer doesn't like this forum. The pages load painfully slow because of all of the security crap running on my work computer. I have been sleeping in my office quite a bit lately so I can catch up on everything I have due at work. I still have lots of freeze dried foods for sale if anyone is interested. Please text or call me a 5712084406 if you are interested. I don't have a current list but I still have over half of waht is listed above. I haven't counted lately but I believe taht I still have 50 of the superpails. It would be great if one person would make a serious cash offer for all of the superpails. I would like to see them gone. I can take pictures and text the picture bt there is no way I can make a new list of everything I still have. I still have most of it.

I had re-pack the room where I have this stuff stored. For everyone that has been there, I got rid of the the storage POD and had to pack it all together. The house is coming along nicely though. I refinished all of the floors last week and the bathroom is almost done. The house is the reason I have to try to ettle the debts. I know they can't make me pay his debts....but I don't want to risk my Grandmother's house if I can satisfy the debt instead. My Father had his name put on my Grandmother's house.
Thanks everyone.
Charles
&#8213; Patrick Henry