Who's Online
16 registered (evenpcasset, Erikthemad, ewsIII, Jerry27, Stankyeti, va_leo, SenseiKintama, Paul4737, MTH68, Jenimal, Blackfoot501, JamesG24, 4 invisible), 12 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#657810 - 01/11/14 06:39 PM CH4D Primer Pocket Swaging kit
scythefwd Offline
Pea Shooter

Loc: KS
City or County: Lenexa
OK, just bought a press mounted primer pocket swager.

Bought it on the 8th, I got it today, the 11th. I was suprized because the lady said 3-5 weeks possibly. They shipped it priority, and it was very well packaged.
Definitely liked dealing with the company.

I bought the swager kit only, not the swager/priming kit

First impressions:
The cutter they used for the threads needs cleaned more frequently.. it had steel flakes in the threads that I was able to clean out. I paid 27and change + 5and change bucks shipping basically, so I can live with that very temporary inconvience. The swaging stems look to be very heavy duty, and the tolerances through the die dont appear to allow for moving around in there.

The die iteslf is solid. Uses standard shell holders, so awesome. I only shoot 9mm where I'll encounter crimped brass (MAYBE a few per 2-300 in rifle...).

I have not mounted or ran it yet, so followup with pics to come in the next few days. I do see complaints of people bending brass, and I expect that is due to them running it too deep into the pockets. This is ran off a press, so its got more than enough power to do some damage to brass.. but the rim is supported on 270 degrees and is a LOT thicker than the little crimp, so we shall see.

#658950 - 01/13/14 02:04 PM Re: CH4D Primer Pocket Swaging kit [Re: scythefwd]
scythefwd Offline
Pea Shooter

well, took it out to the shed and did a little swaging. I'll speed up for sure, as I get the aim back down for slipping cartridges into the shell holder. Very easy, very quick. I'm using a press without compound leverage, so I actually felt it remove the crimp (which is ideal, so I can keep it adjusted and modify my stroke to remove crimp without bending my brass). I love how much I can feel with it, which makes things very simple. I could picture this getting up to 3-5 seconds per piece of brass.

Its very well built, and MUCH faster to swap out than the rbcs version that works similar. The case head isn't supported, but not putting any real pressure, just removing the crimp (would be a possibility with a press that has more leverage.. I feel everything with this one)

#658955 - 01/13/14 02:14 PM Re: CH4D Primer Pocket Swaging kit [Re: scythefwd]
scythefwd Offline
Pea Shooter

oh, yes..

Price was 33 and change after shipping
Was to my door 2 days later (from OH)
Comes with both large and small primer swagers

http://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/case-tools/psk <what it looks like.

It just threads into any 7/8x14 press. Uses a shell holder in the top of the die, and uses the ram to hold the swaging pin.

Here is a video of the kit in use.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFD3jJ9AEXk

#689234 - 03/06/14 12:58 PM Re: CH4D Primer Pocket Swaging kit [Re: scythefwd]
biggun4570 Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Richmond West End
City or County: Henrico
Did you buy this tool from the web-site store listed in your post?
Thanks
Otis

Edited by biggun4570 (03/06/14 12:59 PM)

#690622 - 03/08/14 09:12 PM Re: CH4D Primer Pocket Swaging kit [Re: scythefwd]
scythefwd Offline
Pea Shooter

No, I called them. Only way to do it as far as I know.