Who's Online
6 registered (1DEUCE, mikesxpress, Jedi958, carpetmuncher, 2 invisible), 13 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#270361 - 02/08/12 09:19 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: vasiggie]
v8unleashed Offline
Tactical Tommy Commando

Loc: nova
City or County: nova
Originally Posted By: vasiggie

Any ... locality can make laws overseen firearms if they see fit even if they are different from federal law.

Wrong again.

#270381 - 02/08/12 09:54 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: VaGunTrader]
BOM1911 Offline
( . Y . )

Loc: VA
City or County: Chesterfield County
Originally Posted By: VaGunTrader
you have a guy you dont know offer to buy your AR

you meet him and he gives you cash, you hand over the gun, both go on their way.

A month from now the ATF shows up at your door and wants to know why an AR registered yo you was found at a crime scene in New York.

What do you tell the ATF?

If you covered your @ss you checked the ID of the buyer to make sure he was a Virginia resident. Then you got a bill of sale with his name/address.

Then you hand that bill of sale over to the ATF and tell them "go see this guy".

or you can say...."I sold it to some guy"

your choice !!!!

We did have a member here that sold a handgun here and it was found at a crime scene in NY. He got a bill of sale but lost it and couldnt help the law when they came to his home.

Oh good, so we have some verification. So this guy that sold the gun but didn't have a bill of sale; he was charged for not keeping a bill of sale, and photographs of two pieces of ID right? What part of VA code was he charged with?

I'm not telling the OP to do, or not do anything. He can get ID, a stool sample, finger prints and a retina scan for all I care. He asked what the requirements were (in a section of the forum called "the laws". Sort of suggests he was looking for the legal requirements doesn't it???) None of those are, unless you know something I don't. If so, please provide a cite so that I can learn of these new secret laws.

Edited by bom1911 (02/08/12 10:06 PM)
Edit Reason: Decided to tone it down a notch.

#270413 - 02/09/12 10:23 AM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: Agent19]
DrMark Offline
Marksman

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Yorktown
This man's post is worth reading again:

Originally Posted By: Agent19
In VA only requirements:

Not knowingly selling to a prohibted person.
and
The seller and buyer of a firearm must be a resident of the state in which the transfer occurs for a FTF transaction.

All of this can be confirmed on VSP's webiste and or a call to VSP.
Or you can search VA LIS for laws pertaining to firearms.

Keeping records is not required.

#270455 - 02/09/12 11:02 AM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: v8unleashed]
vasiggie Offline
Gun fool

Loc: NOVA
City or County: Springfield
Originally Posted By: v8unleashed

Any ... locality can make laws overseen firearms if they see fit even if they are different from federal law.

Wrong again.

What are preemtive laws for then.

#270467 - 02/09/12 11:12 AM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: DrMark]
vasiggie Offline
Gun fool

Originally Posted By: DrMark
This man's post is worth reading again:

Originally Posted By: Agent19
In VA only requirements:

Not knowingly selling to a prohibted person.
and
The seller and buyer of a firearm must be a resident of the state in which the transfer occurs for a FTF transaction.

All of this can be confirmed on VSP's webiste and or a call to VSP.
Or you can search VA LIS for laws pertaining to firearms.

Keeping records is not required.

It is required when you buy your gun at a gunshop.

#270473 - 02/09/12 11:15 AM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: BOM1911]
vasiggie Offline
Gun fool

Originally Posted By: bom1911
I have asked the VSP and Fairfax County, and their definition of proper paperwork was bill of sale and a copy of two forms of ID. And VSP have gone as far as saying that i would need to make sure that the recipiant is qualify to buy a firearm, FX county has no mention of this.

Besides dont you have both parties address on the BOS???

My point, we can read the law and everybody has a different interpretation of it. Not even the agencies that are suppose to oversee theese laws are in agreement with eachother.

I reather take the extra step and cover my rear end then have to bend over, if you know what i mean.

I think we get your point. Your preference is to keep some documents because the VSP has suggested it to you. I don't see anyone trying to stop you.

My point, since you have missed it, is that the OP was looking for the legal requirements. Your preference and the legal requirements are not the same.

Here is a good reference site to read the laws. http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+TOC

Do a search for bill of sale and let us know what you find.

To answer your question about addresses on a bill of sale, no.

Thanks for this i will check thhis out for sure.

#270494 - 02/09/12 11:45 AM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: vasiggie]
v8unleashed Offline
Tactical Tommy Commando

Loc: nova
City or County: nova
Originally Posted By: v8unleashed

Wrong again.

What are preemtive laws for then.

You mean preemption, not preemptive. Virginia's preemption law keeps localities from enacting more stringent regulations than the state has, unless expressly permitted.

Code § 15.2-915 states that "No locality shall adopt ... any ordinance ... governing the purchase ... of firearms ...."

Virginia does not require record-keeping, as in zero records. No locality may require any more records than zero records.

0+0=0

I'm confident you can take it from here...

#270503 - 02/09/12 11:54 AM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: vasiggie]
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

City or County: 22973

It is required when you buy your gun at a gunshop.

Yes, but the original question was for private sales and that's what we are all talking about.

Originally Posted By: Vesuvio
Does anyone know what are the requirements to sell a AR-15 to a private buyer?
Thank you
I’ll gladly take questionable mean tweets, a strong economy, energy independence and a Respected Country, over high inflation, millions of illegals aliens, mask/ vaccine mandates and pedophile in chief.

#270551 - 02/09/12 01:20 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: Agent19]
VaGunTrader Offline
The Dictator

Loc: Petersburg Va
City or County: Petersburg
When you buy a $1000 TV that has a 1 year warranty you are given a receipt. Its nice to have that receipt handy if the TV were to break within a year and you need to return it for repair or replacement.
No receipt and you'll be buying a new TV.

It will be nice to have that bill of sale if the law comes knocking and they tell you that a gun registered to you was found at a murder scene. I'd sleep much better that night if I had a bill of sale to hand over to them and say "go ask this guy, I sold the gun to him".

to each his own

#270572 - 02/09/12 01:52 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: VaGunTrader]
vasiggie Offline
Gun fool

Ok, fine, i see the light now, but bill of sell with name and adress for sure.

Edited by vasiggie (02/09/12 01:53 PM)

#270746 - 02/09/12 06:50 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: VaGunTrader]
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

City or County: 22973
Some of us have answered the original question.

Another member made statements that weren't true about what the law requires. We have shown and pointed him and others in the correct direction.

What makes you or others comfortable and sleep better at night isn't a part of the equation.

No one is saying don't get a BOS.
No one is saying don't ask for a blood sample.
No one is saying don't ask for a drug test.

We are just stating it isn't required by law.

Seller is free to make whatever rules they want, but their rules may not be required by the law.

Buyer's are only obligated to meet what the law requires, they are free to accept sellers extra legal terms or move on.

Hopefully the seller is smart enough to state what hoops they want folks to jump through before hand as not to waste anyones time and money.

I can't make it any more clear for anyone to understand.

Comparing getting a reciept from a store bought TV and a private firearm sale makes very little sense.
Why not compare FFL sale to private firearm sale?

For me if I have to go the extra steps for a private FTF firearms transaction I might as well buy from an FFL holder.

I’ll gladly take questionable mean tweets, a strong economy, energy independence and a Respected Country, over high inflation, millions of illegals aliens, mask/ vaccine mandates and pedophile in chief.

#273017 - 02/13/12 11:09 AM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: Agent19]
vasiggie Offline
Gun fool

if the price is right why not.
But i will still riquire a bos, if i ever sell a firearm to an individual. wink

To each its own

Edited by vasiggie (02/13/12 11:11 AM)

#273020 - 02/13/12 11:15 AM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: vasiggie]
JG Offline
Tactical Tommy Commando

Loc: Tidewater/HamptonRoads area
City or County: Tidewater/HamptonRoads area
.... if i ever sell a firearm to an individual. wink

Why are you even weighing in on this discussion then?

#273058 - 02/13/12 12:19 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: JG]
vasiggie Offline
Gun fool

because i can and i want too.

what is it to you, its a free world isnt it.

Edited by vasiggie (02/13/12 12:20 PM)

#273130 - 02/13/12 02:39 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: VaGunTrader]
Likethelake Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Hampton
City or County: Hampton
"A month from now the ATF shows up at your door and wants to know why an AR registered yo you was found at a crime scene in New York"

Don't mean to muddy up this thread, just a comment/question.

If a firearm is origially purchased and stays in Virginia, it's never "registered" to anyone, is it?

#273604 - 02/14/12 08:40 AM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: Likethelake]
slinginlead Offline
Marksman

Loc: Augusta co.
City or County: Augusta County
Likethelake,
Speaking primarily about new guns here.
My experience has been alot of people refer to the records a selling dealer keeps as "registered" because it is traceable to you. Meaning said firearm is traced back to the manufacturer, then to the distributor(if one) and on the the selling dealer. Dealer then looks it up in his records and gives Law Enforcement your information, then they knock on your door. This process would be much more difficult on used firearms because of unknown number of transfers.

#295994 - 03/24/12 04:51 AM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: slinginlead]
prototype Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Fairfax
I'm surprised fairfax county didn't tell you can't even take your AR-15 out of you resience. (just kidding- sort off). Not a very gun friendly gun jurisdiction.

Some of you probably remember that it took the Va. Circuit or Supreme Court back in the later 1990's to FFX to eliminate their own additional county fee (100 bucks or something) and abide the state reqt. of 45 days (instead of taking 6 or more months) on issuing CHPs.

#682192 - 02/21/14 12:56 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: Likethelake]
Messy closet Offline
Marksman

Loc: Fairfax, Virginia
Originally Posted By: Likethelake
"A month from now the ATF shows up at your door and wants to know why an AR registered yo you was found at a crime scene in New York"

Don't mean to muddy up this thread, just a comment/question.

If a firearm is origially purchased and stays in Virginia, it's never "registered" to anyone, is it?

You are correct their is no registration of firearms in the Commonwealth. Just a paper trail back to the original buyer at the place of original purchase. What the advocates of BOS are advocating is private sellers agreeing to form their own continuing paper trail. This is not REQUIRED by law despite lies to the contrary by these advocates and certain police departments. They continually repeat how you will be required or need to "have answers for law enforcement" if a gun you sell ends up at a crime scene. That is the biggest lie in the world, you NEVER have to talk to law enforcement .

#682197 - 02/21/14 01:06 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: vasiggie]
Messy closet Offline
Marksman

Loc: Fairfax, Virginia
I have asked the VSP and Fairfax County, and their definition of proper paperwork was bill of sale and a copy of two forms of ID. And VSP have gone as far as saying that i would need to make sure that the recipiant is qualify to buy a firearm, FX county has no mention of this.

Besides dont you have both parties address on the BOS???

My point, we can read the law and everybody has a different interpretation of it. Not even the agencies that are suppose to oversee theese laws are in agreement with eachother.

I reather take the extra step and cover my rear end then have to bend over, if you know what i mean.

Perfect example of law enforcement agencies lying to a citizen and creating imaginary law where none exists . By the way most law enforcement personnel don't know the law very well and asking them questions about law is foolhardy.

#710679 - 04/14/14 08:46 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: Vesuvio]
lizjimbo Offline
Marksman

City or County: FREDERICKSBURG
The one big rule is you shall not sell a firearm to a person you know to be prohibited from possessing a firearm. Obey that rule and you will stay out of prison. By the way...there is no magic bullet to let you know whether a person is prohibited or not. Whether a person is sane or not. A person with domestic violence convictions can still vote and may very well have a voter id. Someone failed to surrender their ccw when they were arrested on a felony warrant. The guy may have just been released from Saint Elizabeths. Often a convicted felon will have their voting rights restored but never got their firearm rights restored. You are the final arbiter of who you will sell to. Use your bs detector. In life there are no guarantees.

#833014 - 12/25/14 08:54 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: lizjimbo]
Lorelei Offline
I Do Wheelies

City or County: Central
Originally Posted By: lizjimbo
The one big rule is you shall not sell a firearm to a person you know to be prohibited from possessing a firearm. Obey that rule and you will stay out of prison. By the way...there is no magic bullet to let you know whether a person is prohibited or not. Whether a person is sane or not. A person with domestic violence convictions can still vote and may very well have a voter id. Someone failed to surrender their ccw when they were arrested on a felony warrant. The guy may have just been released from Saint Elizabeths. Often a convicted felon will have their voting rights restored but never got their firearm rights restored. You are the final arbiter of who you will sell to. Use your bs detector. In life there are no guarantees.

I've wondered why some sellers on here ask for a voter reg card, since it doesn't prove eligibility. I had a seller refuse to sell to me because I couldn't show that. He said he didn't think I could legally own a gun, even though I showed a receipt for a gun bought from a shop just two weeks before. The range I belong to accepted that as proof of my eligibility, so I wonder if I'm missing something here.

#833173 - 12/26/14 11:04 AM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: Vesuvio]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

City or County: Pulaski
I guess the voter card shows that you were not a felon at one point.
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

#833361 - 12/26/14 05:59 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: rromeo]
Lorelei Offline
I Do Wheelies

City or County: Central
Originally Posted By: rromeo
I guess the voter card shows that you were not a felon at one point.

Or got your voting rights restored, which is MUCH easier in this state than getting your gun rights restored. In fact, with some felonies it's automatic once you're done with your time and any parole.

https://commonwealth.virginia.gov/judicial-system/restoration-of-rights

#836938 - 01/03/15 03:38 PM Re: Requirements to sell a AR 15 [Re: vasiggie]
bustedknee Offline
Curmudgeon

Loc: Southwest Va
City or County: Wythe
because i can and i want too.

what is it to you, its a free world isnt it.

Only until the government takes away our rights.... or we voluntarily give them up.

If we give up our rights voluntarily, we did not deserve them to start with.

Edited by bustedknee (01/03/15 03:46 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2