Who's Online
10 registered (The Truth, WagonBurner, jblack87, rollon, guns85, dcolvin, Kip30, Noah123, SlickStang, 1 invisible), 11 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#725304 - 05/13/14 07:00 PM Sussex County's EXTRA Legal CHP requirements..
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

Loc: VA
City or County: 22973
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Not yet a VCDL member? Join VCDL at: http://www.vcdl.org/join
VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings
Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html

SUSSEX COUNTY SHERIFF’S EXTRA-LEGAL REQUIREMENTS FOR CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT (CHP) APPLICANTS

If you live in Sussex county, are either applying for, or renewing, a CHP (or if you know somebody that is), and you are told that you must meet with the Sheriff, DECLINE to do so.

Currently, the Sussex Circuit Court Clerk, Gary Williams, is sending CHP applicants to see Sheriff Bell, who not only photographs them (!), but also interviews them!!

Both of those actions are totally illegal under Virginia law and it appears that the Sheriff won’t run a background check on anyone who doesn’t comply!

VCDL has notified Mr. Williams, that, by law, he has to issue a temporary permit to any CHP applicant who has not received their 5-year CHP within 45 days. It doesn’t matter whether the Sheriff has run a background check or not.

VCDL has long held that people shouldn’t need to have a permit to carry a concealed handgun, much less need a background check to do so. So if the Sheriff wants people to get permits and carry without a background check, that’s up to him.

That said, if the 90-day temporary permit runs out without a 5-year CHP being issued, then VCDL will escalate its legal efforts accordingly. A writ of Mandamus can be issued against the Clerk, the Judge, and the Sheriff. All we need is someone to be a plaintiff because they did not get their 5-year permit in 45-days and VCDL will fight the legal battle at NO cost to you.

If you live in Sussex, let me know if any of these apply to you (even if you don’t want to be our plaintiff):

* it has been over 45 days since you applied for your CHP and you don’t have either the 5-year permit or a temporary permit

* You had a temporary permit that ran out after 90 days and still don’t have your 5-year permit

* You have been told by the Circuit Court Clerk after 5/12/14 to see the Sheriff while applying for your CHP

* The Sheriff or his deputies have tried to photograph you or interview you when applying for your CHP

VCDL HAS SENT A FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT REQUEST TO THE SHERIFF

When a government entity collects private information on citizens, there are both state and federal laws that dictate how that information is to be stored and protected. VCDL has sent Sheriff Bell a Freedom of Information Act request for copies of policies and procedures related to the storage and protection of photographs, interview notes, etc. that the Sheriff has unlawfully taken of CHP applicants over the years.

I will keep everyone apprised as our battle with Sussex county progresses.

-------------------------------------------
VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
(VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization
dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to
Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org
I’ll gladly take questionable mean tweets, a strong economy, energy independence and a Respected Country, over high inflation, millions of illegals aliens, mask/ vaccine mandates and pedophile in chief.

#725954 - 05/14/14 10:55 PM Re: Sussex County's EXTRA Legal CHP requirements.. [Re: Agent19]
t100rc Offline
Event Horizon

Loc: NoVA
City or County: Fairfax County
Thank you for being on top of these issues, fighting to right them, and making them known to the rest of us. Expect to process my membership application soon.

#753155 - 07/09/14 11:35 AM Re: Sussex County's EXTRA Legal CHP requirements.. [Re: Agent19]
kjohn1 Offline
Join NRA, GOA, OK, VSSA or quit whining.

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Suffolk
Any updates on this?

#780954 - 09/02/14 02:18 PM Re: Sussex County's EXTRA Legal CHP requirements.. [Re: Agent19]
ToddAnnandale Offline
The Hubcap

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Annandale
Elected position - Vote him OUT.