Who's Online
8 registered (PMCguns, Vanvl, J D Shelby, hawgdaddy, mikesxpress, cadi86, 2 invisible), 5 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#762131 - 07/27/14 08:23 PM Hunting sidearm legality.
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

Loc: VA
City or County: Pulaski
Is it legal to carry a .22 mag revolver while deer hunting in firearms season? I thought it may be beneficial to have a smaller caliber pistol handy, but I don't know if that falls under the .23 caliber restriction or not.
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

#762326 - 07/28/14 10:33 AM Re: Hunting sidearm legality. [Re: rromeo]
68Whiskey Offline
What's the most you've ever lost in a coin toss?

Loc: Leesburg
City or County: Loudoun
Isn't some small game stuff legal at the sane time? If so I think it's fine. Also I believe having a CCW would nake it ok.

#762632 - 07/28/14 07:22 PM Re: Hunting sidearm legality. [Re: rromeo]
Va Hunter Offline
Gun fool

Loc: Drakes Branch
City or County: Charlotte
Best thing to do is give your local Possum Cop a call and ask him to be sure.

#762635 - 07/28/14 07:25 PM Re: Hunting sidearm legality. [Re: rromeo]
vic Offline
Bolt action

Loc: USA
City or County: Hopewell
Originally Posted By: rromeo
Is it legal to carry a .22 mag revolver while deer hunting in firearms season? I thought it may be beneficial to have a smaller caliber pistol handy, but I don't know if that falls under the .23 caliber restriction or not.

My understanding is that if you put a finisher into a deer, it has to be a legal caliber/cartridge.

This was quoted to my by a Warden, I haven't really questioned it, but I'd have to have an answer by a Lawyer before I took it as gospel.

*update* On page 22 of the Hunting and Trapping regulations, requirements are that the caliber be .23 or larger and generate 350 ft-lbs muzzle energy.

#762812 - 07/29/14 07:08 AM Re: Hunting sidearm legality. [Re: rromeo]
mebe007 Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Gloucester
City or County: Middle Peninsula
Ok so I've talked to a few wardens about this due to my muzzleloading and archery trips in the mountains. It is deemed illegal to possess any firearm in addition to your primary weapon, except under one condition; you must have a concealed carry permit and the weapon must be concealed. Failure to follow this will result in a fine, or so I was told.

#762892 - 07/29/14 10:52 AM Re: Hunting sidearm legality. [Re: rromeo]
vic Offline
Bolt action

Loc: USA
City or County: Hopewell
You are correct. That would apply to hunting during those respective seasons, and is something to keep in mind.

But, during the General Firearms season, and as I understand it, you can carry a pistol, and if concealed, must have the proper permit otherwise it should be open carry.

If you use it to dispatch a deer, it must be of a legal caliber/cartridge. I am of the opinion that a .22 LR handgun of some sort (if you can find ammo!) would be an obvious choice to "finish a deer off", but it, of course, is not legal by virtue of both caliber and muzzle energy.

And, Pistols are legal only in counties that rifles are, so that's another twist. And this is assuming that the pistol/revolver will be carried with the purpose of using on game.