Who's Online
7 registered (whypanic, Barry Creasy, mike4570, readytohunt, Mattchete, JimRose80, 1 invisible), 15 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#764751 - 08/01/14 09:07 PM Hand guns willed in PA but live in VA
Rulnthunder Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: VA
City or County: Newport News
Need some help on this issue. My Father in law passed away and his hand guns were left to my MIL. She asked if I can take them and sell them in VA. I have talked to a couple of FFL dealers in PA and they said I had to go through them and have them ship them to a FFL dealer in VA for 8.00 per item, But I did see on the PA site that any transfer from parent - child, grandparent - parent etc. is exempt from going through the FFL dealer in PA and they can just ship them directly to a FFL dealer in VA. Anybody know the correct answer? We are talking around 25 hand guns.

Thanks

#764763 - 08/01/14 09:36 PM Re: Hand guns willed in PA but live in VA [Re: Rulnthunder]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

City or County: Pulaski
They only have to be shipped to an FFL, not from. Your mother-in-law could also drive them to an FFL in Virginia. Now, if the FFL in PA is charging $8 per handgun, then it may be cheaper to have him ship them.
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

#764783 - 08/01/14 09:56 PM Re: Hand guns willed in PA but live in VA [Re: rromeo]
Rulnthunder Offline
Pea shooter

City or County: Newport News
Thanks, but the FFL dealer in PA was charging $8.00 plus shipping to send them to VA. So, am I correct in saying that she can send them directly to an FFL dealer in VA or drive them?

#764919 - 08/02/14 10:18 AM Re: Hand guns willed in PA but live in VA [Re: Rulnthunder]
num1fordfan Offline
RUGERS and T.B.T.B.E.B

Loc: prince george , va 23875
City or County: PRINCE GEORGE
I'd just drive to pa and pick up your wife's inheritance wink. ..... why does she want them sold in va , I'm sure the ffl she would go through would do a consignment in pa

Edited by num1fordfan (08/02/14 10:23 AM)

#764954 - 08/02/14 11:04 AM Re: Hand guns willed in PA but live in VA [Re: Rulnthunder]
rromeo Offline
Bullseye

City or County: Pulaski
Originally Posted By: Rulnthunder
Thanks, but the FFL dealer in PA was charging $8.00 plus shipping to send them to VA. So, am I correct in saying that she can send them directly to an FFL dealer in VA or drive them?

Correct. She does not need to send them FROM an FFL by law. Now, some FFLs only accept shipments from other FFLs, but that is only their preference, not law. Your MIL can also legally hand deliver them to any FFL.

As Ford said, if they were willed to your wife, then no FFL involvement is necessary.
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

#765089 - 08/02/14 03:40 PM Re: Hand guns willed in PA but live in VA [Re: Rulnthunder]
num1fordfan Offline
RUGERS and T.B.T.B.E.B

Loc: prince george , va 23875
City or County: PRINCE GEORGE
Your m.I.l can "give" them to you just go gettem save all the ffl hassle especially since your just gonna sell them

#777611 - 08/27/14 03:37 PM Re: Hand guns willed in PA but live in VA [Re: Rulnthunder]
user Offline
Constitutionalist

Loc: Broad Run, VA.
City or County: Fauquier
Cautionary note: I am not an attorney in Pennsylvania, and do not represent that I know anything about Pennsylvania law, which may have something to say on the subject. What I'm going to say has to do with federal and Virginia law. You might want to check with an attorney in Pennsylvania.

If you're a resident of Virginia, and mother-in-law is a resident of Pennsylvania, and she actually owns and is in possession of the firearms right now, then she cannot transfer the guns to you in Pennsylvania, since you're not a resident of the same state. She can send them directly to an FFL in Virginia, but only via UPS or FedEx, not through the mail, nor can you transport them for her.

If you or your wife were to inherit the guns as a bequest from the estate (e.g., under a residuary clause in a will or by intestate succession), then you or she could go and get them and bring them here (though I would go by way of Ohio and W.Va. so as not to have to drive through Maryland or Washington) or ship them to your home from Pennsylvania via UPS or FedEx. There's an exception for inheritance under 18 USC 922 (a) (3).

#777977 - 08/28/14 09:53 AM Re: Hand guns willed in PA but live in VA [Re: Rulnthunder]
vatopa Offline
Double barrel

Loc: virginia beach
City or County: virginia beach
RULN,

This is the guy you want to email about your situation. He is a well respected gun lawyer in PA.

gunlawyer001@gmail.com