Who's Online
16 registered (2DG, BSA1944, r50140, Hiimjimmeh, loomey4320, wmolnar, Mattchete, larry1341, Jkay327, ratman, Riverroad, 1sniperup, cwjw11, mshelton89, 2 invisible), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#734118 - 05/30/14 09:20 PM Hanover County outlaws Tanerite, etc.
Stonewall Offline
Luke 22:36

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Richmond
Hey guys,
On the way home from work today, I heard the tale end of a news report that Hanover County had outlawed exploding targets and if you mixed the two components together then you could arrested for manufacturing explosives which is a felony. Not sure of the details. Could someone please check this out for all those who had a great time at the Tanerite shoot?
Stonewall

#734238 - 05/31/14 07:55 AM Re: Hanover County outlaws Tanerite, etc. [Re: Stonewall]
num1fordfan Offline
RUGERS and T.B.T.B.E.B

Loc: prince george , va 23875
City or County: PRINCE GEORGE
Tannerite is legal to transport in the state of the 2 seperate components once they are mixed it is not legal to transport ( think the reporter misheard how thelaw is written)

#778139 - 08/28/14 03:00 PM Re: Hanover County outlaws Tanerite, etc. [Re: num1fordfan]
Yaahms Offline
Pea shooter

No, the way the OP stated it is correct. I can confirm because I was shooting at my buddy's property and we had just shot a pound of Tanerite, causing quite the blast. Hanover PD showed up within 10 mins and informed us of the law change, and warned us not to do it again. To recap: the substances themselves are legal but mixing them is a felony.

#780443 - 09/01/14 03:51 PM Re: Hanover County outlaws Tanerite, etc. [Re: Stonewall]
aftransporter1 Offline
Addicted

Loc: Prince William
City or County: Dale City
Code of VA 18.2-85

"Explosive material" means any chemical compound, mechanical mixture or device that is commonly used or can be used for the purpose of producing an explosion and which contains any oxidizing and combustive agents or other ingredients in such proportions, quantities or packaging that an ignition by fire, friction, concussion, percussion, detonation or by any part of the compound or mixture may cause a sudden generation of highly heated gases. These materials include, but are not limited to, gunpowder, powders for blasting, high explosives, blasting materials, fuses (other than electric circuit breakers), detonators, and other detonating agents and smokeless powder."

Tannerite produce a cold explosion containing water vapor, it is an endothermic reaction. By the letter of the law it is not an explosive if it is used in its container. If it is in a non frangible container then according to the Va State Police you are in violation of the intent of item and would be in violation of the law.

No one ever said that those that interpret the law actually know what it says and understand science.

#781671 - 09/03/14 08:37 PM Re: Hanover County outlaws Tanerite, etc. [Re: aftransporter1]
Stonewall Offline
Luke 22:36

So, is there going to be another Tanerite shoot in Chesterfield this fall until the CCP say no more?

#781715 - 09/03/14 09:36 PM Re: Hanover County outlaws Tanerite, etc. [Re: Stonewall]
BobVA Offline
Site proctologist

Loc: Dale City, Virginia
City or County: Prince William
Their is no VAGT sponsored shoot planned.

"Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance." - Robert Quillen

"It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln