Who's Online
2 registered (IrishIII, 1 invisible), 7 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#867337 - 03/05/15 04:47 PM VZ2008 vs AK47 varieties
ford_tough Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Purcellville
I am considering purchasing a 7.62x39 side or underfolder type rifle. I am considering typical Ak underfolder like romanian/polish/yugo but recently saw a VZ2008. does anyone have experience with each to point out pros/cons of the VZ vs popular ak variants? not too concerned about sidefolder vs underfolder difference but anything else that may drive my purchase decision (accuracy, reliability, sturdiness, mags, parts, etc.)

#867629 - 03/06/15 07:37 AM Re: VZ2008 vs AK47 varieties [Re: ford_tough]
lawman90 Offline
HK's, AK's

Loc: Fairfax, VA
City or County: Fairfax County
The VZ is a very nice rifle, but the only thing it has in common with an AK is the caliber. It uses a short stroke piston to operate the bolt, and the firing mechanism is a striker. You can still find the "Czechpoint" VZ58s which are real deal Czech-made rifles, but fetch a pretty penny. The Century version is much more affordable, and I haven't really read anything negative about them. Mags and accessories will be harder to find for these than an AK.

For the AK, I'm a big proponent of underfolders (I'm sure you've seen my pictures all over this section) and think they are the perfect compact rifle for having in your vehicle or anywhere else that doesn't facilitate having a non-folding stock. The cheek-weld concern is entirely blown out of proportion as well, since my scrawny 16 year old self spent hours shooting my Vector Arms underfolder.

That all being said, if you want a sturdy rifle with a folding stock, you'll definitely want to look at the Arsenal SLR side folders. They are top notch, and come in a polymer side folding variety (much more comfortable than anything else) and metal triangular stock variety. These stocks lock up as tight as a bank vault, but when folded do give more girth to the rifle than an underfolder. This only matters if you want to rock some kind of discreet carry bag though.

Edited by lawman90 (03/06/15 07:38 AM)

#869002 - 03/09/15 01:03 AM Re: VZ2008 vs AK47 varieties [Re: ford_tough]
spldrong Offline
Multi-Gun

Loc: VA Beach, VA
City or County: VA BEACH
I love my VZ58. Very quality rifle, milled reciver, better saftey than an AK. Only downside is trying to find aftermarket parts. From what I understand the VZ58 and VZ2008 only differ in that the vz2008 does not have a chrome lined barrel and the safety's operate slightly different.... But I belive all parts will exchange between the 2.
If you decide to get one let me know if you need more info on aftermarket stuff. I've done a bit of research and I'm happy with my gun now.

#869003 - 03/09/15 01:08 AM Re: VZ2008 vs AK47 varieties [Re: ford_tough]
spldrong Offline
Multi-Gun

Vz58:
Short stroke piston
Always a milled receiver
Has bolt hold open after last shot
Good saftey
Harder to find mags
Very quality
Hard to find aftermarket, but most of it is quality
Better gun

AK47:
Long strike piston
Almost always a stamped receiver
No bolt hold open
Slow, loud inefficient saftey
Tons of mags
Varying quality
Tons of aftermarket ***PLAY NICE***
More popular gun

#870261 - 03/11/15 01:06 PM Re: VZ2008 vs AK47 varieties [Re: ford_tough]
jonny52z Offline
Double barrel

Loc: VA
City or County: Staunton City
HI, I just bought the VZ2008 over a stamped Wasr 10 at the most similar price point as my first 7.62x39 rifle for many reasons. I did tons of research on the czfirearms forums. I prefer the lighter weight, the fcg design, bolt hold open, the accuracy, easy field strip, tighter tolerances, milled receiver. So far I love it! Very solid and well crafted. Even my ak buddy is VERY interested to see how it progresses.

I am not having much trouble finding aftermarket stuff, some of it I just can't afford at the moment. My only gripes are the no left handed charging, the mag release is not as ergonomic as the ak, and I wish magazines were cheaper and easier to come by.

The cheap price of the VZ2008 at $379 off of palmetto (where I bought it) can easily be offset by the price of magazines depending on how many you want. Sights were fine, the 3 mags were of good quality, shoots extremely well and I am a novice. I was shooting 2 inch groups at 25 yards after a slight iron sight adjustment. I am not at all ashamed of this rifle. Take a look at the other post for upgrade recommendations. Don't buy anything from Israel or you will be waiting until next christmas.

http://www.vaguntrader.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/867339/Searchpage/1/Main/201994/Words/vz2008/Search/true/Re:_VZ2008_furniture#Post867339

#872444 - 03/15/15 09:09 PM Re: VZ2008 vs AK47 varieties [Re: ford_tough]
jonny52z Offline
Double barrel

Here's some pictures of Manca after some custom work and upgrades. I have an AFG2 foregrip coming in a couple of days. As for optics, I was successful in mounting a bushnell trs-25 red dot to the stock upper handguard but it wasn't perfectly straight and the flat picatinny rail just didn't fit the contoured surface of the upper. I don't currently have the tools or time to fool with it any longer and it shoots perfectly with the iron sights, so no biggie. Hope you like it. VZ's rule!

Attachments
WP_001770.jpg

WP_001772 (1).jpg

Edited by jonny52z (03/15/15 09:14 PM)

#890770 - 04/26/15 11:20 PM Re: VZ2008 vs AK47 varieties [Re: jonny52z]
spldrong Offline
Multi-Gun

So I don't usually post pics of my guns unless I'm selling them... But this has been a long term "fun" project of mine, not my designated social collapse gun or anything... I also feel like the vz is just so under appreciated. I've used many different AKs. I like this gun more... Second to this is the short barrel Hungarian AMD-65, though point is that the controls and feel of the VZ are better.

Anyhow:
- bonesteel handguards
- shortie Daniel defense grip
- Haley strategic thorntail with a surefire
- bushnell TRS-25, (been holding perfect zero)(lower 1/3 witness)
- extended bolt release
- Viking tactical sling
- 550 wrap around folding stock

On the to do list:
- ambidextrous mag release (thinking about custom making my own from the original)
- Israeli pistol grip ( I like that it has storage, and stock grip is short and slippery)
- some sort of custom ambidextrous saftey. (Then it would work almost like an AR-15!)
- thread adapter permanently attached to 5/8x24 (for legal length purposes)
- smooth the edges on the reciver (so sharp!)
- cerakote some cool guy color or whatever
At that point I guess I would consider it done

Attachments
image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by spldrong (04/27/15 01:27 AM)

#941293 - 08/30/15 03:03 AM Re: VZ2008 vs AK47 varieties [Re: ford_tough]
spldrong Offline
Multi-Gun

No VZ58 love...

Good, keeps it "special"

#941294 - 08/30/15 03:06 AM Re: VZ2008 vs AK47 varieties [Re: ford_tough]
spldrong Offline
Multi-Gun

You should throw the VZ58 name in this title, so people looking at this thread know what it's about. Not many people know what a VZ2008 is, they prob think it's one of the million AK varieties.

#943857 - 09/05/15 12:08 PM Re: VZ2008 vs AK47 varieties [Re: ford_tough]
jonny52z Offline
Double barrel

Spldrong, nice VZ man! I love it! Sorry been awhile since i checked here. I just picked up an upper handrail from CNC warrior for $65. Now I have to decide between a bushnell trs-25 or a Primary arms microdot, for co-witness. Thinking of going PA. I'm also working with CNC warrior to build a chromed gas piston that fits my version of the Century VZ 2008 rear sight block. Czfirearms forum discussion says there are at least 3 different gas piston types out there.

Apparently, century thought it was a good idea to change the specs on the rear sight block and gas piston. I suspect that the century piston is bent, because the head is getting a little chewed up after about 700 rds. Still flawless and fully functional.

What's an extended bolt release? Also, let me know where you find a reasonably priced extended mag release. Zahal is expensive and I don't like supporting isreali business if I can avoid it. Happy hunting sir!

#944961 - 09/08/15 12:47 PM Re: VZ2008 vs AK47 varieties [Re: ford_tough]
spldrong Offline
Multi-Gun

Thanks, it a project in the works.
The bolt release is that little button on the bottom right side of your receiver that you can push to lock the bolt back. They make an extention for it so that it acts as a bolt release also, works very well. And it's great for rightys and leftys.

Your post got me looking around the Internet for more parts... seems like every year different people make parts for the VZ and the old people stop... Guess the gun is not popular enough.
http://www.bctactical.ca/products.html
Found this site. Has some different stuff
Still looking... I really need a extended mag release

#944967 - 09/08/15 12:54 PM Re: VZ2008 vs AK47 varieties [Re: ford_tough]
spldrong Offline
Multi-Gun

Century arms... yea, it took me a long time to find my VZ58 from chech point for a good deal, I like that any surplus parts should fit my gun.
I like my trs-25, good cowitness with the bonesteel rails, not sure if they are still around. PA and holosun are apparently the same thing... very interested to try their syuff out