Who's Online
2 registered (IrishIII, 1 invisible), 7 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#811889 - 11/08/14 10:33 PM What's the strangest scariest thing/things that's ever happened to you in the woods?
Limbchicken Offline
Marksman

Loc: Virginia
City or County: New Kent
I'll share some of mine if yall share yours.
Bigfoots, wompus cats, plain out weird stuff that makes your neck hairs prick up.

#811964 - 11/09/14 08:14 AM Re: What's the strangest scariest thing/things that's ever happened to you in the woods? [Re: Limbchicken]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Loc: Various
City or County: Various
I was b'ar hunting once, found some mushrooms, got hungry and the next thing I remember is that I could talk b'ar, a bunch of cubs were calling me daddy, but the echo in the cave was driving me nuts.

Wish I could find more of those mushrooms now to help me through my day job.

I-95 "Fast Lanes" solved NOTHING!!!

#812513 - 11/10/14 12:30 PM Re: What's the strangest scariest thing/things that's ever happened to you in the woods? [Re: Limbchicken]
num1fordfan Offline
RUGERS and T.B.T.B.E.B

Loc: prince george , va 23875
City or County: PRINCE GEORGE
maw was hunting and a squatch happened upon her what happened next well ... here i am

#816492 - 11/19/14 07:35 AM Re: What's the strangest scariest thing/things that's ever happened to you in the woods? [Re: Limbchicken]
srwshooter Offline
Sharp Shooter

Loc: grottoes,va.24441
City or County: augusta co.
had a guy get shot right over the hill from me 20yrs or so ago. shot in the stomach by one of his pa. buddies while taking a crap.
we tried to stop the bleeding but he died later at the hospital.

was hunting smith mtn lake near the dam once with a buddy and got stranded on the mountain over night after a 6ft wave swamped my bass boat.just lucky we were able get a fire going to stay warm at 25deg.

#820726 - 11/28/14 05:53 PM Re: What's the strangest scariest thing/things that's ever happened to you in the woods? [Re: Limbchicken]
ryanva Offline
Bolt action

Loc: Prince George
City or County: Prince George
I took a dump near a dead snake while I was hunting, and didn't realize it until I started wiping. Needless to say I didn't get to completly finish wiping. I took off trying to run with my pants around my ankles, but fell on the gound. I got up and and turned to see whee it was and realized it wasn't moving.

#845979 - 01/23/15 10:09 AM Re: What's the strangest scariest thing/things that's ever happened to you in the woods? [Re: Limbchicken]
GUERRILLA Offline
The Vanilla Guerrilla

Loc: King William
City or County: King William County 23009
I was shot with buckshot 3 years ago and ive taken some pretty "scary" dumps in the woods haha

#847829 - 01/26/15 08:42 PM Re: What's the strangest scariest thing/things that's ever happened to you in the woods? [Re: Limbchicken]
Phisherman Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Richmond, VA
City or County: Fredericksburg
Opening day of dove season this past year, I was hunting public land with a buddy. We sat in a corn field all day, saw one dove but never had a shot on it. About an hour before sunset, we decide to walk around a little and do some deer scouting. So we walk probably a mile (in the opposite direction of our vehicles), leaving some of our gear behind. On the return trip to our gear, a bear cub, no more than 60yds in front of us, was just lounging in the path before we noticed it and it scampered off. The scary thing was not knowing where mama bear was; she had to be close. So we had to decide: walk probably 10 miles around the long way to get to our gear, or walk through bear territory as the sun is setting. Talk about nerve racking.

#874408 - 03/20/15 12:10 PM Re: What's the strangest scariest thing/things that's ever happened to you in the woods? [Re: Limbchicken]
Left_Eye Offline
.44 Magnum Fanatic

Loc: Richmond, Ashland, Quantico
City or County: Richmond, Ashland, Quantico
Tree separate times I have ran into a momma bear with cubs while hunting squirrels with a .22.

I am a Ruger American.

I think I'm an Anchor Baby.

#910217 - 06/13/15 08:17 AM Re: What's the strangest scariest thing/things that's ever happened to you in the woods? [Re: Limbchicken]
volfan59 Offline
Full Auto

Loc: New Castle, Virginia
City or County: Craig
A buddy shot me while rabbit hunting. We were jack rabbit hunting in California. He was using 12GA #4's. We had separated in a light rain and he shot just as I topped a rise. Never knew I was anywhere around. Caught me in the left side of my head and neck. He was way more upset than I was. He had to dig one pellet out of my neck but that was all!!! Too many encounters with bears to relate, including a couple while only carrying a .22. Fortunately, they were all during daylight. The most scary one was while I was walking into the woods in pitch dark. I was carrying an unprimed muzzleloader and a treestand when something started growling at me. Never knew what it was. Oh, and getting lost when leaving the woods at dark once was a bit unnerving.

#912709 - 06/19/15 12:27 PM Re: What's the strangest scariest thing/things that's ever happened to you in the woods? [Re: Limbchicken]
num1fordfan Offline
RUGERS and T.B.T.B.E.B

Loc: prince george , va 23875
City or County: PRINCE GEORGE
at the 14 second mark ive looked like this once or twice when a dump has hit me up in a tree stand https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFVqMO48RWQ

#917338 - 06/30/15 08:39 PM Re: What's the strangest scariest thing/things that's ever happened to you in the woods? [Re: Limbchicken]
shortround60 Offline
Double barrel

Loc: Prince William County, Virgini...
City or County: Prince William
Not quite the woods and only a bit unnerving, but it may count. I was leading my squad on a hike up one the larger rock formations while we enjoyed a brief bit of down time at NTC at Fort Irwin, California. It was right before sundown and we decided to take a break. As we were sitting around on the rocks someone started asking what was this weird noise. I instantly knew what it was and told them it was a rattle snake. Everyone got really nervous and wanted to leave, but no matter which direction we moved more snakes started buzzing. I told them to follow my lead as I start hoping from one large rock to another until we reached the bottom. It had taken us about twenty-thirty minutes to reach the top, but only about five minutes to get down it seemed.

#918640 - 07/04/15 09:23 AM Re: What's the strangest scariest thing/things that's ever happened to you in the woods? [Re: Limbchicken]
volfan59 Offline
Full Auto

Loc: New Castle, Virginia
City or County: Craig
Wow! Definitely a scary encounter. It reminded me of when I was target shooting with a Marine classmate of mine while we were attending DLI. We were in the Ventana Wilderness Area and when we had finished and removed our hearing protection we noticed a strange high-pitched whine. It was coming from a downed pine tree next to where we were standing. Turned out to be a very large rattler in its branches. Never heard one that sounded like that before.

#942970 - 09/03/15 09:03 AM Re: What's the strangest scariest thing/things that's ever happened to you in the woods? [Re: Limbchicken]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Running crown fires. Seen many, awesome power... nothing to ever take lightly.

I cut my teeth in wildland fire fighting in 1988 in Yellowstone... there is a insane video out there of a news crew running and cussing like crazy to get out of the the Old Faithful Inn area with a running crown fire approaching. 600'+ flame lengths and 25mph speed. If I can find it, I will post.

1988 was way before camera phones so video is very limited.

I fought fires all over the country when I was a younger fella, but always consider that work far easier and safer than you Military guys/gals and LEO work etc. thus my perpetual Thanks (from me and my family) to all of you.

Running crown fire videos in the meantime:

https://youtu.be/RlOhACOPpoI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m_-sML1qHg

https://youtu.be/U5eCA-TTJWI

#947088 - 09/14/15 08:18 AM Re: What's the strangest scariest thing/things that's ever happened to you in the woods? [Re: Limbchicken]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Saw this guy... passed, politics and hunting just don't mix.

Edited by Cash is King (09/14/15 08:28 AM)

#950228 - 09/23/15 11:30 AM Re: What's the strangest scariest thing/things that's ever happened to you in the woods? [Re: Limbchicken]
Dadcpu Offline
Potty Mouth Grandpa

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Henrico County
Ford in a guilly suit, thought it was Sasquatch...

#959178 - 10/16/15 01:39 PM Re: What's the strangest scariest thing/things that's ever happened to you in the woods? [Re: Limbchicken]
Agent19 Offline
2A 4 All

Loc: VA
City or County: 22973
Twice had bunny/tree huggers run around naked during opening day (out west) pee'ing and crapping in the woods all while singing etc.. to scare off game..

Those were some of the thickest bushes I've ever seen, the forest was dense with shrubs too.
I’ll gladly take questionable mean tweets, a strong economy, energy independence and a Respected Country, over high inflation, millions of illegals aliens, mask/ vaccine mandates and pedophile in chief.

#959375 - 10/16/15 09:54 PM Re: What's the strangest scariest thing/things that's ever happened to you in the woods? [Re: Dadcpu]
vic Offline
Bolt action

Loc: USA
City or County: Hopewell
Originally Posted By: Dadcpu
Ford in a guilly suit, thought it was Sasquatch...

Sasquatch has got to be better looking....