I wasn't sure where to post this AAR so I put it here and in the emergency preparedness subforum.

My prep group and I took the Combat Team Tactics together. We learned each others strengths and weaknesses and it gave us an opportunity to learn and practice Fire and Movement as a team.

My After Action Report:

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to attend my second Max Velocity Training class out in Romney West Virginia.
The class was titled Combat Team Tactics and I learned even more this second time around.

As I’ve been reflecting on the class and the lessons learned a few key points have really struck home.
I want to share those key points in an effort to motivate the firearms owners that aren’t training to get out there and train!

Key points:
A rifle is a tool.
Simply owning it will not get the job done.
Going to the range and punching holes into paper will not get the job done.
To fully utilize this tool you will need some quality training.

Without quality training your ability to protect yourself, protect your loved ones, protect your home, or stand up for the second amendment becomes questionable at best. (Catastrophic at worst)

This second experience has really solidified my belief that Max Velocity’s Combat Team Tactics class (CTT) should be the baseline for anyone owning a rifle that hopes to ever use it for defense. He teaches what I’ve never seen taught before outside of law enforcement or military schools. Just about every class I’ve attended prior to Max’s I was standing static on a firing line shooting down range at paper or steel targets. Max teaches fire and movement in a 360 dynamic environment with electronic pop up targets that react to being shot. (If it’s not moving, you’re probably not hitting it.) For beginner shooters Max has a 2 day basic rifle skills class. Once you’ve mastered basic manipulation you’re pretty much ready for Combat Team Tactics. It’s a three day class with the first day spent on the flat range with a safety brief, zeroing, working on malfunction drills, react to contact drills, and a little movement. The next two days are spent out in the woods where you start to learn the basics of fire and movement. You’ll start to build on those basic skills and move from operating as a buddy pair to operating as a fire team. These techniques will be taught and practiced on live fire ranges with electronic reactive targets! Max’s ranges are on a first class training facility in Romney WV, about a 2 hour drive from northern Virginia. After years of gun ownership I have come to realize the value of this style of training. Max Velocity Tactical is the only place I know of where you can get it. The next class I take will probably be a course he has just started offering in his new MOUT location called Citizen Close Combat (C3). Get out there and train, train, train! I’ll leave you with this final thought that I may have gotten from John Murphy at his FPF Training Minuteman Rifle Course years ago:

It is one thing to know how to shoot your rifle.
It is another thing to know how to fight with your rifle.