Who's Online
12 registered (vshlopak, red3, dumbjarhead, NATIONALIST, tms6, Davester, OldRookie, DamonL, 4 invisible), 15 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#1322196 - 02/22/18 05:49 PM Fire Forming brass to a different caliber
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

Loc: Various
City or County: Various
Without getting into why I think 9.3x62 Mauser is one of the greatest and most successful (has killed more tonnage of game throughout the world... than any other caliber)... I will simply say, I LOVE THE CALIBER!!!

I fire form .30-06 brass (lower shoulder and .308 case mouth) to 9.3 x 62 Mauser (higher shoulder, larger diameter, .366 case mouth)... and tada over two tons of energy... very flat (260 Yards will keep you on a paper plate without hold over) and decent speed (2,500 FPS with a 286 gr. pill). 9.3x62 is legal to hunt elephant with... it also works well on smaller animals.

Cartridge on the left is a "ready to Fire Form" .30-06... 9.3x62M on the right.

Any primer will work (pistol, rifle, magnum etc.)... does not matter.

These case were annealed... the last batch was not (I had 3 splits out of 120 fired from that lot).

Powder charge is about 1/2 of what you read on the internet... 5 grains would do it... I did 7.3 grains... 10 grains will also work, but you will get more splits... and have more brass to trim.

Edited by Cash is King (02/22/18 08:26 PM)
Edit Reason: Typos... as always

I-95 "Fast Lanes" solved NOTHING!!!

#1322204 - 02/22/18 05:59 PM Re: Fire Forming brass to a differnt caliber [Re: Cash is King]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

What powder you ask? About any pistol or shotgun powder. Rifle powders are two slow... Have a 40 year old jug of questionable Unique? Give it a try... My advise is to ladder up your charges until you have one that you like. Every caliber varies.

Next comes the Cream of Wheat... yes that breakfast cereal you ate as a kid. Fill up the case... straight on top of you powder.

COW (aka Cream of Wheat) comes to about 1/4" from the top

Then stuff a napkin piece in the top to keep the COW from spilling out.

Wax off of those little cheese red round hockey pucks works also, but napkins are cheap and my Doctor told me to eat more fruits and vegetables and less cheese...

Take the rounds outside and shoot in your 9.3x62M (or whatever caliber you are doing)... After, your brass will be perfect to reload.

Edited by Cash is King (02/22/18 08:29 PM)

#1332385 - 03/19/18 09:14 AM Re: Fire Forming brass to a differnt caliber [Re: Cash is King]
Cash is King Offline
Nice guy... NO MORE

My load WILL BE DIFFERENT than yours... ALWAYS work up...

Fire forming of .30-06 brass.

9.3 grains of Bullseye powder was the best, Clays (7.3 gr) also did well... 300+ cases FFed with only two split necks.

Bad news...

12.3 grains of Blue Dot (same load data as the others) started to back out primers... and "ching" snapped off the extractor (CZ-550 Medium) after about 40 rounds (didn't realize until too late).

New extractor is $35...

Such is life... different powders act differently.

Edited by Cash is King (03/19/18 09:15 AM)