VA Gun Trader thanks you!
Your donations help keep the website free and also allows for improvements.

Click the PayPal button or IM me for further info and thank you!

Whenever you use this search button to buy on Amazon, you are supporting VGT at no extra cost to you.

Anything you purchase is helping to pay for Hosting and Bandwidth.

Click image(s), below to buy on Amazon

VGT Advertisers ( Sign Up With Us )
Topic Options
#1429672 - 12/04/18 06:00 AM Ruger American 243 Safety issues
OBrezzy Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Chesterfield
So went out hunting yesterday, with my ruger american 243 that's 10 months old. Well it was real muddy and I had it strapped to my back, went to take a leak and my feet went up, my head went down and my 6'2 300lb self came down on the rifle in the clay and mud. Got it home cleaned it as much as possible (didn't open the trigger or disassemble the bolt as ruger advises not to and I can't find reliable vids) So the issue I'm having now is the safety won't engage unless the bolt is engaged. What the heck is wrong with it. Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix or get this fixed? Thanks folks.

#1430123 - 12/05/18 02:10 PM Re: Ruger American 243 Safety issues [Re: OBrezzy]
mequirky Offline
Conversion Madness

Loc: Dale City Va.
City or County: Dale City
The safety should no engage unless the bolt is cocked. From Ruger "The RUGER AMERICAN RIFLE® has a two-position tang safety. The safety selector is located behind the bolt sleeve. The safety selector can be moved from the “Fire” position to the “Safe” position only when the firing pin is cocked. Fully raising the bolt handle cocks the firing pin. The cocking piece will protrude from the bolt shroud when the firing pin is cocked."

Is you operation different from this?

What me worry?
A.E. Newman

#1432333 - 12/11/18 12:19 PM Re: Ruger American 243 Safety issues [Re: OBrezzy]
OBrezzy Offline
Pea shooter

Loc: Virginia
City or County: Chesterfield
Wow, thankyou. Maybe the safety was broken before the fall and the fall jammed it right. Before I could move it on and off safe cocked or not. I think I might try to find someone who works on guns who might be able to tell me what's wrong, or what part is broken.Sorry for the late response, never saw that anyone even replied until just now.